May and August 2017 Graduation
Marquette University Law School will celebrate the accomplishments of its May and summer 2017 graduates the weekend of May 20-21, 2017. More details will be posted on this site as graduation weekend approaches, so please check back regularly for updates.
Hotel accommodations fill quickly for graduation weekend. We encourage out-of-town guests traveling to Milwaukee for graduation to reserve accommodations well in advance.
For information about ordering graduation announcements, please click here.
Graduation weekend consists of the following events:
SATURDAY, MAY 20, 2017
All-University Baccalaureate Mass
(4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- Mass will be celebrated at the UWMilwaukee Panther Arena (formerly known as the U.S. Cellular Arena), 400 W. Kilbourn Avenue, Milwaukee. The arena is adjacent to the Milwaukee Theatre.
- Attendance is optional.
- Academic apparel is not worn.
- There is no limit to the number of guests a student may bring to Mass.
- Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Law School Hooding Ceremony and Reception
(6:45 p.m. - 9:15 p.m.)
- The hooding ceremony and reception will be held at the Milwaukee Theatre, 500 W. Kilbourn Avenue, Milwaukee. (The Milwaukee Theatre has been renamed the Miller High Life Theatre.)
- Attendance is strongly encouraged. At the hooding ceremony, law graduates are recognized individually and receive their academic hood and diploma cover from the Dean.
- Graduates must arrive by 6:00 p.m.
- Academic apparel is worn.
- Graduates may invite up to 8 guests, free of charge, and up to 15 guests in total. There is a $10 per person charge for additional guests (ages 12 and over) beyond the first 8 guests. Graduates will be asked to accurately report the number of guests they invite to ensure there is sufficient seating for all graduates' guests.
- Graduates will have the opportunity to request seating for additional guests (beyond the first 15 guests), and those requests will be honored as space allows, once all graduates have submitted their guest counts.
- Doors open to the lobby at 5:00 p.m. and to the house for seating at 6:00 p.m. Light snacks, beverages, and a cash bar will be available beginning at 5:00 p.m. in the lobby. Additional refreshments and appetizers will be available following the ceremony.
- At the event, seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests need to be seated by 6:30 p.m.
- Accommodations will be made for guests with special needs. Please contact Carol Dufek via email or at (414) 288-6452 by Friday, April 14, to request accommodations.
SUNDAY, MAY 21, 2017
All-University Commencement Ceremony
(9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- The All-University Commencement Ceremony will be held at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, 1001 N. Fourth Street, Milwaukee.
- Attendance is mandatory for all graduates by University directive. Requests for permission to be excused from the All-University Commencement Ceremony must be submitted via email to Director of Student Affairs Anna Fodor and approved by the Dean.
- Graduates must arrive by 8:45 a.m. to assemble for the processional.
- Diplomas will be distributed immediately following the ceremony at a designated area inside the arena.
- There is no limit to the number of guests a student may bring to the All-University program. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please click here for more information about the All-University Commencement Ceremony.
- Due to major construction around the BMO Harris Bradley Center, parking near the arena will be limited. Please click here to see current information for street closures and parking alternatives
MONDAY, MAY 22, 2017
Wisconsin Supreme Court Group Swearing-In Ceremonies
The group swearing-in ceremonies for eligible diploma privilege admission candidates will be held in Madison at the Wisconsin Supreme Court, Capitol Building, on Monday, May 22, 2017. The five (5) ceremonies are scheduled for 9:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 2:30 p.m. You will be notified by the Clerk of the Supreme Court of your eligibility, and will receive a reservation form for your specific ceremony. It is your responsibility to check on the status of your application.
For questions or concerns regarding either the group swearing-in ceremony, or the Wisconsin diploma privilege process, contact Ms. Stephanie Danz, Assistant Registrar.