Current Issues in Sports Law CLE Seminar (July 11, 2014) Materials Website
The following materails are supplements to the presentations provided as part of the Current Issues in Sports Law CLE Seminar on July 11, 2014.
12:30 - 1:20 pm
Legal Issues Surrounding Concussions in Youth and High School Sport
- Professor Paul Anderson (L'95), Associate Director, National Sports Law Institute, Marquette University Law School; Chair and Founder, Sports Law Alumni Association; and Past Chair, Sports & Entertainment Law Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Karas v. Strevell, 227 Ill. 2d 440 (Ill. 2008)
- Cerny v. Cedar Bluffs Junior/Senior Pub. Sch., 679 N.W.2d 198 (Neb. 2004)
- Pinson v. State, 1995 Tenn. App. LEXIS 807 (Ct. App. Tenn. 1995)
- Speed v. State, 240 N.W. 2d 901 (Iowa 1976)
- Wissel v. OHSAA, 78 Ohip App, 3d 529 (Ct. App. Ohio 1992)
- Serrell v. Connetquot Central High Sch. Dist. of Islip, 280 A.D. 2d 663 (2001)
- Mohr v. St. Paul, 2004 WI App. 5
- Jareau v. Orleans Parish Sch. Bd., 600 So.2d 1389 (Ct. App. La. 1992)
- Yanero v. Davis, 65 S.W.3d 510 (Kt 2001)
- Feld v. Borkowski, 790 N.W.2d 72 (Iowa 2010)
- Kahn v. E. Side Union High Sch. Dist., 75 P.3d 30 (Cal. 2003)
- Brokaw v. Winfield-Mt. Union Cmty. Sch. Dist., 788 N.W.2d 386 (Iowa 2010)
- Labouisse v. Orleans Parish Sch. Bd., 757 So. 2d 866 (La. App. 4 Cir. 2000)
- Stach v. Warwick Valley Cent. Sch. Dist., 964 N.Y.S.2d 241 (App. Div. 2013)
- Nguyen v. Grain Valley R-5 Sch. Dist., 353 S.W.3d 725 (Mo. Ct. App. 2011)
- Serrell v. Connetquot Cent. High Sch. Dist. of Islip, 721 N.Y.S.2d 107 (App. Div. 2001)
- Laiche v. Kohen, 621 So. 2d 1162 (La. Ct. App. 1993)
- Noffke v. Bakke, 2009 WI 10
- Hinterberger v. Iroquois Sch. Dist., 2013 WL 6284433 (3d Cir. Dec. 5, 2013)
- Lavella v. Stockhausen, 2013 WL 1838387 (W.D. Pa. May 1, 2013)
- Mercier v. Greenwich Acad., Inc., 2013 WL 3874511 (D. Conn. July 25, 2013)
- Traumatic Brain Injury Legislation, National Conference of State Legislatures, (last updated March 2014).
1) Reports and Hearings
- K-12 Education: School-Based Physical Education and Sports Programs (Report)
- The Impact of Concussions on High School Athletes (Hearing)
- The Impact of Concussions on High School Athletes: The Local Perspective (Hearing)
- Concussions and The Marketing of Sports Equipment (Hearing)
2) Agencies/ Organizations
- Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention and Control, Ctr. for Disease Control, Get a Heads Up on Concussion in Sports Policies (2013)
- Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention and Control, Ctr. for Disease Control, Implementing Return to Play (2013)
- Must read for young athletes (poster)
- Nat’l Insts. of Health, A Bang to the Brain (2013)
- Inst. of Med. and Nat’l Research Council of the Nat’l Acads., Sports-Related Concussions in Youth (2013)
JohnaK. Register-Mihalik, Kevin M. Guskiewicz, Tamara C. ValovichMcLeod, Laura A. Linnan, Frederick O. Mueller, and Stephen W. Marshall (2013) Knowledge, Attitude, and Concussion-Reporting Behaviors Among High School Athletes: A Preliminary Study. Journal of Athletic Training: Sep/Oct 2013, Vol. 48, No. 5, pp. 645-653.
- Jean Langlois, The Epidemiology and Impact of Traumatic Brain Injury: A Brief Overview, 21 J. Head Trauma Rehabilitation 375 (2006)
- Marie-France Wilson, Young Athletes at Risk: Preventing and Managing Consequences of Sports Concussions in Young Athletes and the Related Legal Issues, 21Marq. Sports L. Rev. 241 (2010)
- Sergio R. Russo Buzzini & Kevin M. Guskiewicz, Sport-Related Concussion in the Young Athlete, 18 Current Opinion Pediatrics 376 (2006)
- Ctrs. for Disease Control and Prevention, Nonfatal Traumatic Brain Injuries Related to Sports and Recreation Activities Among Persons Aged ≤ 19 years – United States, 2001-2009, 60 Morbidity & Mortality Wkly. Rep. 1337 (2011), https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm6039.pdf
- R. Dawn Comstock, et al., National High School Sports-Related Injury Surveillance Study, 2011-2012 School Year, HS RIO (2012), http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/Document/Get/108630.
- Ray W. Daniel, Steven Rowson & Stefan M. Duma, Head Impact Exposure in Youth Football, 40 Annals of Biomedical Engineering 976 (2012), https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3310979/
- Barry P. Boden, et al., Catastrophic Head Injuries in High School and College Football Players, 35 Am. J. Sports Med. 1075 (2007), http://www.theorthocentermd.com/docs/drboden01.pdf
- Frederick O. Mueller & Bob Colgate,Annual Survey of Football Injury Research, 1931-2011, The American Football Coaches Association (February 2012), http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/2011FBAnnual.pdf
- Council on Sports Med. and Fitness,Cheerleading Injuries: Epidemiology and Recommendations for Prevention, 130 Pediatrics 966 (2012), http://www.clarionledger.com/assets/pdf/D01961721022.PDF
- Frederick O. Mueller & Bob Colgate,Catastrophic Sports Injury Research: Twenty-Ninth Annual Report, Fall 1982-Spring 2011, The National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research (2011), http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/2011Allsport.pdf.
- Ann C. McKee, et al.,The spectrum of disease in chronic traumatic encephalopathy, Brain: J. Neurology, Dec. 2, 2012, https://academic.oup.com/brain/article-pdf/136/1/43/1194337/aws307.pdf
- Steven P. Broglio, James T. Eckner, & Jeffrey S Kutcher, Field-based measures of head impacts in high school football athletes, 24 Current Opinion Pediatrics 702 (2012), http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC3643806;jsessionid=BUrzDm46OM7NrjhnC2Ty.22?pdf=render
- Bryan R. Cobb, et al., Head Impact Exposure in Youth Football: Elementary School Ages 9–12 Years and the Effect of Practice Structure, 41 Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2463 (2013), http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs10439-013-0867-6.pdf
- Jillian Urban, Cumulative Exposure Risk of Concussion for Youth and High School Football Head Impacts, 2013 Ohio St. U. Injury Biomechanics Symp, http://ibrc.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Urban_Manuscript_2013.pdf
- Dilip R. Patel, Vandana Shivdasani, & Robert J. Baker,Management of Sport-Related Concussion in Young Athletes, 35 Sports Med. 671 (2005), http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00007256-200535080-00002#page-1
- J.E. Urban, et al, Head Impact Exposure in Youth Football: High School Ages 14 to 18 Years and Cumulative Impact Analysis, 41 Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2474 (2013), https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23864337
- Mark R. Lovell, et al., Recovery From Mild Concussion in High School Athletes, 98 J. Neurosurgery 295 (2003), http://impacttest.com/ArticlesPage_images/Articles_Docs/RecoveryfromMildJoN2003.pdf.
- Michael P. McClincy, et al., Recovery from sports concussion in high school and collegiate athletes, 20 Brain Injury 33 (2006), http://www.whsaa.org/Forms/concussion/BrainInjuryRecoveryAccept2006.pdf
- Lee M. Miringoff, et al., Youth Football Takes a Hard Hit, HBO Real Sports/Marist Poll (Oct. 23, 2013),
- Michael McCrea, et al., Unreported Concussion in High School Football Players: Implications for Prevention, 14 Clinical J. Sport Med. 13 (2004), http://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Abstract/2004/01000/Unreported_Concussion_in_High_School_Football.3.aspx
- Rosemarie Moser, et al., Prolonged Effects of Concussion in High School Athletes, 57 Neurosurgery 300 (2005), http://journals.lww.com/neurosurgery/Abstract/2005/08000/Prolonged_Effects_of_Concussion_in_High_School.17.aspx
- Valovich McLeod, et al., Sport-Related Concussion Misunderstandings Among Youth Coaches, 17 Clinical J. Sport Med. 140 (2007), http://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Abstract/2007/03000/Sport_Related_Concussion_Misunderstandings_Among.9.aspx
- William P. Meehan, et al., High School Concussions in the 2008-2009 Academic Year, 38 Am. J. Sports Med. 2405 (2010), http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0363546510376737
- Kelly Sarmiento, et al., Evaluation of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Concussion Initiative for High School Coaches: “Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports,” 80 J. Sch. Health 112 (2010), http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2010.00491.x/full
- Anthony Marchie & Michael D. Cusimano, Bodychecking and concussions in ice hockey: Should our youth pay the price? 169 Can. Med. Ass’n J. 124 (2003), http://www.cmaj.ca/content/169/2/124.short
- Mickey Collins, et al., Examining Concussion Rates and Return to Play in High School Football Players Wearing Newer Helmet Technology: A Three-Year Prospective Cohort Study, 58 Neurosurgery 275 (2006), http://journals.lww.com/neurosurgery/Abstract/2006/02000/Examining_Concussion_Rates_and_Return_to_Play_in.9.aspx
- Tamara C. Valovich McLeod, et al., Psychometric and Measurement Properties of Concussion Assessment Tools in Youth Sports, 41 J. Athletic Training 399 (2006), https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1752194/
- Lesley Lueke, High School Athletes and Concussions: More than a Game at Stake, 32 J. Legal Med. 483 (2011).
- Ross Zafonte, Diagnosis and Management of Sports-Related Concussion: A 15-Year-Old Athlete With a Concussion, 306 J. Am. Med. Ass’n 79 (2011), http://0-search.proquest.com.libus.csd.mu.edu/pqrl/docview/878527314/C3911077BA21426APQ/2?accountid=100
- Suggested Guidelines for Management of Concussion in Sports (October 2013)
- Soft of Padded Headgear in Non-Helmeted Sports Position Statement (June 2013)
- A Parent’s Guide to Concussion (April 2013)
- Am. Acad. of Neurology,Position Statement on Sports Concussion (Oct. 2010).
- P. McCrory, et al., Consensus statement on concussion in sport – The 3rd international conference on concussion in sport, held in Zurich, November 2008, 21 J. Clinical Neuroscience 2 (2009).
- Kimberly G. Harmon, et al., American Medical Society for Sports Medicine position statement: concussion in sport, 47 Brit. J. Sports Med. (2013).
- Paul McCrory, et al.,Consensus statement on concussion in sport: the 4th International Conference on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich, 47 Brit. J. Sports Med. (2013).
- Am. Acad. Of Neurology, Summary of Evidence-Based Guideline Update: Evaluation and Management of Concussion in Sports (2013).
- Steven P. Broglio, et al., National Athletic Trainers’ Association Position Statement: Management of Sport Concussion, 49 J. of Athletic Training 2 (2014).
- James F. Malec, et al., The Mayo Classification System for Traumatic Brain Injury Severity, 24 J. of Neurotrauma 9 (2007).
- Mayo Clinic Concussions
- Cleveland Clinic Concussion Center
1:30 – 2:20 pm
Concussions: Football’s Silent Partner and Player Killer
- Professor James Gray (L’90), Associate Professor and Sport and Recreation Management Program Director, Marian University
- Powerpoint Presentation
- The Big Scrum: How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football by John J. Miller. 2011. 258 pages. This book described how President Theodore Roosevelt guided and improved college football in order to protect player health and safety.
- The Concussion Crisis: Anatomy of a Silent Epidemic by Linda Carroll. Read by David Rosner and Pam Ward. 2011. 12 hours and 29 minutes. This audiobook evaluated for listeners the hidden concussion epidemic, from the athletes and others whose lives have been disrupted by concussions to the scientists and doctors seeking to understand it.
- In a Different Voice by Carol Gilligan. 1982. 1993. 216 pages. . This book evaluated the challenges of women and girls in creating their identity and, ultimately, enjoying independent decision making.
- The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers. 1988. 293 pages. This book considered the “Hero” journey where one is transformed from being a boy and becomes a man.
- Technolopy: The Surrender of Culture to Technology by Neil Postman. 1993. 240 pages. This book described how the rise of technology has influenced American society along with the ethical consequences associated with it.
- The Disappearance of Childhood by Neil Postman. Read by John Riggenbach. 1982. 2007. 5 hours and 57 minutes. This audiobook evaluated the costs to American society when encouraging children to act as adults while inadequately prepared.
Sport Based Concussion Documents
- National Football League Collective Bargaining Agreement. August 4, 2011. 316 pages. This is the most recent edition of the labor contract between management and labor within the National Football League. Articles 58, 62, 65 and 66 addressed player concussions.
- 2013-14 National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports Medicine Handbook. Twenty fourth edition. 2014. Compiled by David Klossner, Director of the NCAA Sports Science Institute. 140 pages. NCAA Guideline 21 addressed sports related concussions.
Concussion Video Documentary
- League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis. Public Broadcasting System Frontline Documentary. 114 minutes. 2013. This documentary evaluated the short and long term concussion harm suffered by National Football League players.
- In The Matter of New Orleans Saints Pay For Performance/”Bounty,” Paul Tagliabue, Arbitrator, December 11, 2012. This arbitration decision evaluated the culture of brutality as found in the National Football League.
- In Re: National Football League Players’ Concussion Litigation MDL. No. 2323 (E.D. Pa. 2014). These are the court documents connected with the injured National Football League player class action lawsuit.
- In Re: National Collegiate Athletic Association Student-Athlete Concussion Injury Litigation MDL No. 2492 (N.D. Ill. 2014). These are the court documents connected with the injured National Collegiate Athletic Association player class action lawsuit.
2:25 – 2:50 pm
SPORTS CONCUSSIONS: What you don’t know can hurt you!
- Attorney Roy Kessel, Founder, SportsBrain, Deerfield, Illinois
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Press Room SportsBrain
3 – 3:25 pm
Public Relations and the Law in Sports
- Attorney Jason Wied (L’98), Lin.Liebmann.Wied LLC, Green Bay (Vice President/General Counsel, Green Bay Packers, 2000-2012)
- Anne M. Wall, Sports Marketing and the Law: Protecting Proprietary Interests in Sports Entertainment Events, 7 Marq. Sports L. J. 77 (1996)
- Anastasios Kaburakis and Galen, Clavio, Legal and Ethical Dimensions of Sport Public Relations (February 3, 2012). SPORT PUBLIC RELATIONS, pp. 299-316, C. Stoldt, S. Dittmore, and S. Branvold, eds., Human Kinetics, 2012.
- Joanna Hatt, Ethical & Legal Practices of Public Relations, Small Business Chronical
3:30 – 3:55 pm
Current Issues in Sport and Entertainment Facility Naming Rights
- Professor Bill Miller (L'96), Associate Professor of Sports Management in the Health, Exercise Science & Sport Management department at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside
- Powerpoint Presentation
- W.S. Miller, The Current State Of Sports Facility Naming Rights, Sports Facility Reports, Aug. 2011
- Iain Taker, Stadia Naming Rights - Legal And Commercial Issues, LawinSports, Dec. 7, 2011
- Gene Allen, Drafting a Naming Rights Agreement for a Conceptual Collegiate Football Stadium, 86 N. D. L. Rev. 789 (2010)
- Naming Rights Deals, SportsBusinessDaily
4 – 4:25 pm
Restrictive Covenants in College Coaches Contracts
- Professor Marty Greenberg (L’71), managing member, Law Office of Martin J. Greenberg, LLC, Milwaukee; Adjunct Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School; member, NSLI Board of Advisors
- POWERPOINT PRESENTATION
- Greenberg's Coaching Corner
- USA Today's November 2013 Football Coaches Database
- Financial Engineering - CEO in Headphones
- Bret Bielema: Consent to Interview - Best Practices
- "Behind the Bielema Jump", JS Online, Editorial by MJG
- Coaching Free Agency Has a Price: Liquidated Damages
4:30 - 4:55 PM
Marquette Law School and Baseball Labor Relations in the 1930s
- Professor Gordon Hylton, Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI and member, NSLI Board of Advisors
- Carl Zollmann,Baseball Peonage, 24 Marq. L. Rev. 139 (1940).