Sports Law Competitions
(from back row) 2019 Intramural Competition winners Marnae Mawdsley & Ashley Graves, with finalists Austin Malinowksi & Maggie Frawley, and (front row) judges, MLB Commissioner Emeritus Bud Selig, and alums Meg Pirics, Milwaukee Brewers, and Sarah Padove, Office of the Commissioner, MLB
Marquette's Sports Law Program hosts an annual internal student negotiation competition, supports student participation in numerous national competitions, and in 2019 will host a new national negotiation competition. The Directors of the Sports Law Program and National Sports Law Institute are assisted in these endeavors by the members of the Sports Law Competition Board.
2018-2019 Sports Law Competition Board
A third year student Sports Law Competition Board develops and manages the Intramural Sports Law Negotiation Competition each year. The Board also assists with the preparation for each national team serving as representatives to each team. The Board is also responsible for developing and running any National Sports Law Competitions hosted at Marquette University Law School.
- Chair - Marnae Mawdsley (L'20)
- Vice-Chairs - Maggie Frawley (L'20), Ashley Graves (L'20), and Andrew Mentzer (L'20)
Intramural Sports Law Negotiation Competition
Each year Marquette's Sports Law Program hosts an annual second year student Intramural Sports Law Negotiation Competition for Sports Law Certificate Program candidates. The purpose of the competition is to provide students with an opportunity to enhance their negotiation skills, while also preparing them for the various national sports law competitions.
- 2018-2019 competition rulebook
- First and Second Rounds, 2019 Intramural Sports Law Negotiation Competition, Saturday, February 2
- Final Round, 2019 Intramrual Sports Law Negotiation Competition, Wednesday, February 13
- Featuring judging panel including Sarah Padove (L'13), Senior Coordinator, Baseball & Softball Development, Office of the Commissioner, Major League Baseball, Meghan Pirics (L'16), Legal Associate, Milwaukee Brewers Baseabll Club, and Allan "Bud" Selig, Distinguished Lecturer in Sports Law and Policy, member, National Sports Law Institute Board of Advisors, and Major League Baseball Commissioner Emeritus.
National Competitions (2018-2019)
12th Annual International Baseball Arbitration Competition, Tulane University Law School, Sports Law Society, January 17-18, 2019
- 2018-2019 team - Zachary Buchta, M'Kenzee Galloway, and Jordan Lysiak (Competition Board Representative)
- Alumni coach - Leah Cameron (L'17), Kasdorf, Lewis & Swietlik, S.C.
5th Annual Tulane Professional Football Negotiation Competition, Tulane University Law School, Sports Law Society, January 25-26, 2019
- 2018-2019 team - Jacob Armellani (Competition Board Representative), Aurusa Kabani, and Beau Krueger
- Alumni coach - Karla Nettleton (L'17), Deloitte Tax, LLP
Second Annual Tulane Pro Basketball Negotiation Competition, Tulane University Law School, Sports Law Society, February 21-22, 2019
- 2018-2019 team - Mike Forella, Ian Hackett, Alexander Hensley (Competition Board Representative)
- Alumni coach - Cody Hallowell (L'18), Sports Marketing Manager, Al Hurvis / ADAMM Educational Foundation and Founder, 24/8 Sports Consulting
2019 Fordham National Basketball Negotiation Competition, Fordham Sports Law Forum, Fordham University Law School, February 22-23, 2019
- 2018-2019 team - Taylor Chase, Dominic Rosso (Competition Board Representative Jacob Armellani)
- Alumni coach - Jeff Roeske (L'14), Reinhart, Boerner, Van Deuren, S.C.
24th Annual Tulane Mardi Gras Invitational Appellate Sports Law Competition, Tulane University Law School Moot Court Board, February 27 - March 1, 201
- 2018-2019 team - Killian Commers, Hannah Compton, and Alexander Hensley (Competition Board Representative)
- Alumni Coaches - Kara Coppage (L'15), Michels Corporation and Tyler Coppage (L'15), BrandSafway
National Sports Law Negotiation Competition, Thomas Jefferson School of Law, March 29-31, 2019
- 2018-2019 team - Killian Commers, Hannah Compton (Competition Board Representative Jordan Lysiak)
- Alumni coach - Trace Hummel (L'16), von Briesen & Roper S.C.
Moorad GameDay Case Competition, The Jeffrey S. Moorad Center for the Study of Sports Law, April 13, 2019
- 2018-2019 team - Taylor Brisco, Antonio Cannavaro, and Ryan Vargas ((Competition Board Representative Alexander Hensley)
- Alumni coach - Jill Caggiano (L'18), M.B.A. 2018