Summer Youth Institute: Program Application
The SYI is open to students who will enter the 8th, 9th, or 10th grade next fall. Enrollment is limited to 20-25 students who live AND attend school in the City of Milwaukee. The goals of the program are to provide access to a law school educational experience for first-generation, low-income, and/or underrepresented students in law school programs, and ultimately, to contribute to the diversification of legal practitioners in Milwaukee and beyond.
Interested students are welcome to submit an application anytime.
The application deadline for the 2017 program is March 31st.
Download the application and instructional materials in one packet, here.
To apply, students must submit each of the following:
1. A completed application form.
2. A letter of recommendation from a teacher, mentor, or other non-family member.
- Download a letter of recommendation form here.
- Your recommender is also welcome to submit a letter without using the form. Use the address printed below.
- The recommendation may be uploaded and attached to the online application form, or faxed or mailed directly to Marquette Law School at the address below.
3. A statement of interest.
- This should be a typewritten essay of no more than 500 words telling us about yourself, why you would like to participate in the Summer Youth Institute, and how you would contribute to the program.
- This statement should reflect a tone that demonstrates sincere interest in the program and the seriousness with which you will apply yourself.
- The committee gives serious consideration to your personal statement.
- Online applicants: there is space to include your statement of interest in the online application form.
4. A copy of your most recent report card.
- The report card may be uploaded and attached to the online application form or faxed or mailed directly to Marquette Law School at the address below.
If you have any questions about the application process or required materials, please do not hesitate to call the Summer Youth Institute at 414-288-7924.
Summer Youth Institute Fax: 414-288-0200
Marquette Law School, Summer Youth Institute, 1215 W. Michigan Street, Milwaukee, WI, 53233