Opportunities & Aid
DDR Lawyers Legal Scholarship -- $1,500
The DDR Lawyers Legal Scholarship by Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum, LLP is a recurring scholarship worth $1,500 designed to help one law student with their tuition costs. We welcome all eligible students to apply and look forward to reviewing your application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: DEC 31, 2018
A winner will be announced on or before Jan 31, 2019
- Admitted to an accredited law school in the U.S.
- 3.5 or higher GPA
- Completed Application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Upload a 500-600 word original essay on what you hope to achieve in your legal career if awarded this scholarship.
- Upload School Transcript
- Upload Resume
For additional details, please visit: https://www.ddrlawyers.com/scholarship/Contact: Devin
Stevens & McMillan Law Firm Scholarship -- $1,500
We are pleased to announce the return of the Stevens & McMillan $1,500 scholarship! The scholarship contest is available to current college students or those planning on attending college in the 2018-2019 school year.
At Stevens & McMillan, we believe that everyone has the right to an education. We would not be where we are today without the help and support of our family, friends, and teachers. However, a quality education can be very expensive, and we want to do our part to help the next generation. So, to help deserving students realize their dreams, we created an annual $1,500 scholarship contest.
Click here to see our previous winners and honorable mentions.
Applicants for the Stevens & McMillan Scholarship must meet all of the following requirements:
- You must be in good academic standing if currently enrolled in college or high school; If you are under the age of 18, you must allow your parent or legal guardian to read all of the rules listed on this page and obtain their permission to participate;
- You must be currently enrolled in an accredited college in the United States or planning to attend college no later than Fall of 2018;
- You must submit a minimum 1,000 word essay concerning the topics below using Microsoft Word. At the end of the essay, please indicate in a separate paragraph your name, phone number, school, expected school in Fall of 2018 if different, and a statement that you agree to the contest rules.
All essays must be submitted by November 15, 2018. The winner will be selected by December 1, 2018 and the scholarship funds will be mailed to your school on or before December 15, 2018.
The partners of Stevens & McMillan will make the final decision as to the winner of the scholarship. The essays will be judged on creativity and quality. A second-place winner and one or more honorable mentions may also be selected, but they will not be eligible for any scholarship or cash payment. Stevens & McMillan will publish the winning essay on one or more internet sites. Stevens & McMillan may also publish the second-place winning essay and one or more essays that won honorable mention. By submitting your essay, you agree to the contest rules including granting Stevens & McMillan the right to publish your article on multiple websites without payment unless you are the winner of the scholarship. If you receive first place, second place or honorable mention, and are published online, you may list it on your resume and we will verify the information to any prospective employer.
Choose any law or connected group of laws regarding at least one of the following topics:
- Wrongful termination
- Leave of absence violations
Describe how these laws have helped employees in the workplace. You may use examples from your own family or friends, or you can compare and contrast modern employees to employees before these laws were enacted, or you can compare and contrast employees in the United States to employees in other countries, or you can use recent events in the news to illustrate your points. California students may use the comparable laws found under California’s FEHA. Candidates are expected to cite to relevant statutes and cases.
- Please type your essay in MS-Word and email it to email@example.com
- Please like us on Facebook and add us to your Google+ circles
Stevens & McMillan is an employment law firm located in Southern California representing employees only. To contact us, call our office today at 1-800-738-3353.
For further information, click here.Contact: Dan Stevens
Diversity Scholarship Foundation -- Various Scholarships
The Diversity Scholarship Foundation (DSF) is pleased to offer various scholarships to deserving and diverse students each year. Twenty students from Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin received scholarships in 2017!
The application deadline is September 1, 2018. Selected applicants will be notified whether they must submit to an interview with members of the scholarship committee. Scholarship recipients must be able to attend the Unity Award Dinner through award presentation in the last week of November, 2018.
There are several scholarships and the awarded amounts vary. To access the online application and complete information, please see our website at http://diversitychicago.org/dc/scholarships.
The DSF scholarships and externships include:
- Jerold S. Solovy Diversity Scholarship Award: This Scholarship will be awarded to a law student who actively advocates for diversity within the Chicago area legal community and works to bring focus to those who do pro-bono work within their community. Students are required to submit an article on their views about “diversity within the legal community” and maintain a 3.8 GPA.
- Public Interest Advocate Scholarship Award: This Scholarship will be awarded to a law student who is interested in pursuing a career in public service or a student who is actively involved with a not-for-profit agency that represents the needy and the underprivileged. Eligible students maintain a 3.5 GPA.
- Law Student with a Disability Scholarship Award: Scholarship (an award of at least $500) was established with the support of attorney Stacy J. Campbell, an Associate with Hinshaw and Culbertson, and her fiance Dr. George F. Viamontes. There is no GPA requirement for this scholarship.
- Bar Exam Preparation Scholarship: This Scholarship is awarded to third-year law students who have demonstrated academic ability and the need for financial assistance. This scholarship is intended to help off-set the cost of an Illinois State Bar Exam preparation course.
- Judicial Externships: In addition to our numerous scholarships, the Diversity Scholarship Foundation also provides opportunities for externships with judges in a variety of different fields. Please indicate that you wish to be considered in the application and your application will be forwarded. Additional requirements may apply according to the rules and regulations of the courthouse where the extern will be working. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by the court. Selected externs will be provided a stipend.
Note: The DSF reserves the right to waive the GPA requirements to well-deserving students who tirelessly advocate for diversity. You must have completed at least two semesters of law school (and have a transcript) to qualify.Contact: Barbara N. Flores
Benson & Bingham Annual Scholarship -- Up to $2,500
In 2017, Benson & Bingham decided to give back to the community with the inception of its first annual Law Scholarship. Benson & Bingham understand the rigors of law school accompanied with the expense to become an attorney, and felt obliged to help alleviate the financial strain with their annual scholarship offer. The firm is pleased to announce that we ended up awarding not just a grand prize of $2,000, but two additional $250 runner-up awards due to the quality of the essays we received.
For 2018, we elected to keep the same eligibility requirements, however we've elected to continue to award two additional runner up awards. In addition, the essay questions have been changed to provide a fresh set of circumstances with which to judge scholarship applicants.
- Currently enrolled in or recently accepted to an accredited law school.
- A United States citizen or permanent resident.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. A copy of your college transcript (unofficial) must accompany the application.
- Proof of Law School acceptance or attendance must accompany the application.
Applications must be received electronically by August 31, 2018 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please reference: Benson & Bingham Second Annual Scholarship Application.
One grand prize winner will receive a one-time payment of $2,000 to be applied to the law school of their admission/attendance. Additonally, two $250 payments will be awarded to two runner up applicants. Essays may be published by Benson & Bingham, so please refrain from submitting anything personal, vulgar or inappropriate for the web. The winner of the award will be announced by October 31st, 2018.
Entrants for our scholarship must submit a minimum of a 600-word typed essay on one of the below topics to be judged by partners Joe Benson and Ben Bingham at the conclusion of the deadline:
- Premises Security: Given the Mandalay Bay Shooting, what steps should hotels take to insure the safety and security of their guests?
- Consumer Product Safety: When are the affixed warnings regarding the potential risk of injury obvious enough to warrant not having them? [A product is defective for its failure to be accompanied by suitable and adequate warnings concerning its safe and proper use, if the absence of such warnings renders the product unreasonably dangerous. To be adequate a warning must be: (1) designed to reasonably catch the consumer's attention, (2) that the language be comprehensible and give a fair indication of the specific risks attendant to use of the product, and (3) that warnings be of sufficient intensity justified by the magnitude of the risk.]
Judging the essay’s value will be contingent on the below qualities:
- Originality of thought or provocativeness of article.
- Attention to current law as well as statistical knowledge of the area of investigation.
- Submissions must be 100% original and never published or disseminated at a previous time.
- Candidates may site case law or historical record with appropriate citations to the source.
Benson & Bingham welcome any and all potential candidates who meet the above criteria and complete the application by August 31st, 2018. Good luck to all the applicants of our first annual scholarship. The winning entry's submission as well as a press release will accompany the award when the winner is announced on October 31st, 2018.
For more information, visit our scholarship page.Contact: Justin Simpson
NW Corporate Law Scholarship -- $1,000
NW Corporate Law is pleased to announce its scholarships for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019. Available to second- and third-year law students and awarded twice a year, the award is $1,000 and may be used for any expenses related to law school education.
Law school in the United States is expensive. Our firm wants to help a law student avoid some of the costs associated with law school, and we are now accepting applications for the Fall 2018 NW Corporate Law scholarship, which will be awarded to one second or third year law student who is in financial need and who is actively enrolled in an ABA-approved law school. The award will be paid to the student, and the awarded funds may be used by the student for any expenses related to the student’s law school education. All of the details are below, including a link to the application. We offer this scholarship award biannually, in the spring and fall. The application requirements may change during each award period.
- Be a 2nd or 3rd year law student enrolled in an ABA-approved law school in the United States.
- Have an interest in business law or entrepreneurship.
- The scholarship is awarded biannually.
- To be eligible for the Fall 2018 scholarship, the application must be submitted by October 1, 2018.
- The Fall 2018 scholarship will be awarded to the single winner by October 31, 2018.
- Spring 2019 scholarship applications must be submitted by April 1, 2019 to be awarded by April 30, 2019.
FALL 2018 APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Most recent law school transcript.
- Essay: The legal profession is riddled with inefficiencies. In 500 – 700 words identify one particular inefficiency in the profession and propose a creative solution. Essays related to business law or entrepreneurship encouraged, but not required. Points for creativity.
- Resume: 1 page max, limited to your work, volunteer, and other educational experiences.
The scholarship is awarded biannually.
Each semester (spring and fall), there will be one award of $1,000 to one student applicant, awarded at the discretion of the firm.
The awarded funds may only be spent on law school educational expenses.
Submit necessary questions to email@example.com. Subject line of email should state “Scholarship Questions.”
Scholarships should be submitted using our online form at https://www.nwcorporatelaw.com/law-scholarship/
ABOUT NW CORPORATE LAW
NW Corporate Law serves entrepreneurs, investors, and business owners. We help founders form as well as sell companies, raise money, protect trademarks and copyrights, and advise in day-to-day decisions. Based in Portland, Oregon, we serve clients throughout the West Coast and Pacific Northwest. For more information visit www.nwcorporatelaw.com.
Contact: NW Corporate Law
The Expert Institute's Annual Legal Writing Scholarship -- $2,000
Clear, effective writing is the cornerstone of an exceptional lawyer, and a vital area of education for aspiring attorneys. While traditional forms of legal writing like case briefs and contracts endure, the internet has given legal professionals a new medium of communication that demands mastery as well. Blog posts are a new way for attorneys to educate and persuade, and to participate in a broader legal discourse with their peers. In recognition of the importance of online legal writing, The Expert Institute is offering a $2,000 scholarship for the best legal blog post written by a law student on the topic of expert witnesses. To be considered for the scholarship, you must submit a 1,500 to 2,500 word blog-style article on the use of expert witnesses in litigation. If your article wins, you will receive a $2,000 scholarship. In addition, your article will be published on The Expert Institute’s blog and distributed in our weekly newsletter, where it will be read by thousands of practicing attorneys.
To win, your article has to be logically rigorous and substantive, as well as engaging and entertaining. Ideally, lay people should be able to understand and enjoy the article, while lawyers should find it useful and insightful.
Eligibility and Topic:
J.D. Students – Any topic in litigation involving expert witnesses
- Specific case references are required, and the article must contain specific examples
- Your article must be an unpublished, original submission. The Expert Institute reserves the right to publish in print and digital all or part of the essay or abstract at its discretion
- Citations should be inline – no footnotes or endnotes. Links to electronic sources are encouraged
- Articles must be 1,500 – 2,500 words in length, and written in a blog post format
Submission Must Include:
- Full name of author (First, Middle, and Last)
- Contact information for author, including e-mail address and phone number
- School name and mailing address
- A .doc or .docx file containing your article. PDFs and other document formats are not acceptable
Factors that will be considered during judgment include:
- Clarity, style, and poise of writing
- Originality of topic
- Thoroughness of research and quality of analysis
- Comprehensibility by lay and professional audiences
Deadline: December 31, 2018
Full information on the scholarship, as well as the online application form, can be found at the following address: https://www.theexpertinstitute.com/writing-contest/
Contact: The Expert Institute
Prof. Blemberg Seeks Research Assistant
Prof. Blemberg seeks a research assistant for Fall 2018. Research project will be related to Wisconsin ethics/professionalism cases. Research assistant should have completed The Law Governing Lawyers. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.Contact: Prof. Blemberg
Car Accident Concussion Awareness Scholarship -- $1,000Saturday, September 1, 2018 - 11:55pm • n/a
Boston car accident lawyers, Burns & Jain, announce their Car Accident Concussion Awareness Scholarship. They seek to raise awareness on concussions caused from car accidents so victims will understand the severity of these injuries and seek the treatment they need. We will be awarding a $1,000 scholarship to a student based primarily on the quality of their essay on a provided topic.
Applications are due September 1, 2018. For more information, please visit: https://burnsjainlaw.com/car-accident-concussion-awareness-scholarship-2018/Contact: Neil Burns
Weiss & Paarz National Law Scholarship -- $1,000Monday, September 3, 2018 - 11:55pm • n/a
Weiss & Paarz Medical Malpractice Attorneys are thrilled to announce the second year of their exciting scholarship opportunity. The scholarship will be awarded to the student who demonstrates all of the following qualities and characteristics:
- Financial need
- Exceptional work ethic
- Strength in the face of adversity
- Outstanding academic achievement
- Commitment to the local community and charitable giving
- Ability to lead others
- Overall moral character
All applications must include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume listing work experience, educational background, and high school and college grade point average and class rank, if applicable;
- Personal Statement, which includes a description of your career goals and what you plan to use the scholarship funding for (2 pages maximum);
- Confirmation of enrollment in an ABA-accredited law school or copy of your current student ID; and
- Copy of your state ID or driver’s license
Students must submit their application by email to Sarah Weiss Rozalis at email@example.com by September 3, 2018.
Winner will receive a $1,000 scholarship.
For more information, please visit http://www.weisspaarz.com/2018-weiss-paarz-national-law-scholarship/Contact: Sarah Weiss Rozalis
Davis Personal Injury Scholarship -- $1,000Friday, September 14, 2018 - 11:55pm • n/a
Davis Personal Injury Scholarship
Deadline: September 14, 2018
To enter the scholarship essay competition, answer the following question in 300-500 words:
"Tell us the best advice you've received about driving safely and avoiding car accidents."
Details and submission information can be found at: https://www.davispersonalinjury.com/scholarship/Contact: Carrie Warren
The Expert Institute's 2018 Legal Writing Scholarship -- $2,000Monday, December 31, 2018 - 11:55pm • n/a
Clear, effective writing is the cornerstone of an exceptional lawyer, and a vital area of education for aspiring attorneys. While traditional forms of legal writing like case briefs and contracts endure, the internet has given legal professionals a new medium of communication that demands mastery as well. Blog posts are a new way for attorneys to educate and persuade, and to participate in a broader legal discourse with their peers. In recognition of the importance of online legal writing, The Expert Institute is offering a $2,000 scholarship for the best legal blog post written by a law student on the topic of expert witnesses. To be considered for the scholarship, you must submit a 1,500 to 2,500 word blog-style article on the use of expert witnesses in litigation by December 31, 2018. If your article wins, you will receive a $2,000 scholarship. In addition, your article will be published on The Expert Institute’s blog and distributed in our weekly newsletter, where it will be read by thousands of practicing attorneys. For additional details, please visit: https://www.theexpertinstitute.com/writing-contest/.Contact: Cody Porcoro
Christensen Law Firm Scholarship -- $2,000Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 12:00am • n/a
The Christensen Law Firm Scholarship is a recurring scholarship worth $2,000 designed to help one incoming 1L or continuing law school student pay for their tuition costs.
Who is eligible: Incoming first year or continuing law students who are enrolled in an accredited law school in the United States, and hold a 3.5 minimum GPA.
Application instructions: Applications including all supporting documents must be submitted in full, online, by January 31, 2019 in order to be considered. A winner will be announced on, or before, February 28, 2019 at which point we will arrange to have $2,000 sent to the student's financial aid department to help pay for their tuition costs.
Application page: https://www.texasinjurylawhelp.com/christensen-law-firm-scholarship/Contact: Christensen Law Firm
Taylor & Ring Victim Advocate Scholarship -- $5,000Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 11:55pm • TBD
Taylor & Ring announces their second annual Victim Advocate Scholarship. This annual award will be given to a student interested in pursuing the study of law with a specific goal of helping survivors of sexual assault, rape, child abuse, or sexual harassment in the workplace. The successful candidate needs to be currently enrolled in, or will be enrolled in, an accredited college or university or law school for the upcoming academic year. The scholarship can be paid directly to the student’s college or law school at his or her request, if necessary.
Scholarship amount: $5,000
- An essay of no more than 1000 words about what the civil justice systems means to you;
- Proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university or law school;
- A brief statement about your financial needs.
We may also ask the finalists for a letter of recommendation from a current or former teacher or professor or advisor.
Applications for the 2019 scholarship award are now being accepted. All applications must have been completed and submitted by April 25, 2019 in order to be eligible for consideration.
For more information, please visit: https://www.taylorring.com/scholarship/Contact: David Ring
Silverman, McDonald & Friedman Educational Scholarship -- $5,000Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Silverman, McDonald & Friedman proudly announce the annual Silverman, McDonald & Friedman Educational Scholarship. This yearly scholarship will be awarded to a law student who is dedicated to upholding the rights of the injured. The successful candidate will be enrolled, or have proof of future enrollment, in an accredited college, university or law school for the upcoming academic year. The scholarship can be paid directly to the student’s institution, at his or her request.
Scholarship amount: $5,000
To be eligible for the scholarship, please submit the following to the link below:
- An essay of no more than 500 words about what the civil justice systems means to you;
- Proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university or law school;
- A brief statement about your financial needs.
Finalists may be asked for a letter of recommendation from a current or former teacher or professor.
All applications must be completed and submitted by June of 2019 in order to be eligible for consideration. The winner will be notified by July of 2019. Winning essays may be posted on our website, with the student’s approval.Silverman, McDonald & Friedman
Scrofano Law PC Aspiring Public Defender Scholarship -- $1,500Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Scrofano Law PC is a premiere DUI and criminal defense law firm in Washington, DC. At Scrofano Law PC, we believe that working as a public defender is one of the highest callings in the legal profession. Too often public defenders are overworked and under resourced. They face daily insurmountable odds in the courtroom and in a system that is often rigged against their clients. To give back to the legal community and express our admiration and appreciation to those who aspire to fight for the underdog, we have created a scholarship for law students interested in pursuing a career as a public defender.
Scholarship Amount: $1,500.00
- 1st or 2nd year law student
- Interest in legal career representing individuals rather than institutions
- Employed in summer position at a public defender’s office
Deadline: June 1 each year
Application Requirements: Resume, transcript, offer letter or other proof of internship at Public Defenders office that indicates whether paid or unpaid
In addition, please include an essay on the following topic: As a public defender or private criminal defense lawyer, you will often be asked the question: how can you defend people you know are guilty? Respond to that question in 500-700 words.
Submit all application materials in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional info, please visit: https://www.scrofanolaw.com/firm-profile/scholarships/Contact: Joseph Scrofano
Barry J. Nace Pursuit of Justice Scholarship -- $3,000Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Attorney Barry J. Nace has been at the forefront of groundbreaking litigation in state and federal courtrooms around the country. His dedication to offering hope to those who feel like they have nowhere to turn has inspired his sons – attorneys Christopher, Jonathan and Matt – to follow in his footsteps. To that end, the firm has created the Barry J. Nace Pursuit of Justice Scholarship, to be awarded annually to any student who believes that “justice for all” is a pledge we make to one another.
SCHOLARSHIP VALUE: $3,000
- Applicant must already be accepted into an undergraduate program at a university or college.
- Strong passion for civil justice
- Why do you require financial help? What would the $3,000 would be spent on? (Tuition, Housing, Books, Etc.)
- What drives your pursuit for civil justice? (Under 300 words please.)
- All applications must be received by June 30, 2019.
For more information, please visit: https://www.paulsonandnace.com/barry-j-nace-pursuit-of-justice-scholarship/Contact: Mike Edwards