Opportunities & Aid
Ethics in Sports Law Writing Competition and Award
The Anne Wall Ethics in Sports Law Competition and Award, is now open. Created by longtime NSLI Board of Advisors member Anne Wall, the award recognizes the Marquette University Law School student who writes the best essay on a current ethical dilemma in amateur or professional sports. Members of the Sports Law Society and Sports Law Certificate candidates are eligible to participate in the competition. Submissions must be original, thought provoking, and well researched essays focused on a newsworthy ethical dilemma within amateur or professional sports. Submissions can be no more than 10-15 double spaced pages long, and are due Friday, March 22, 2019. Complete details of the competition including submission instructions can be found online here.Contact: Paul Anderson
Janis Doleschal Risk Management in Sports Law Writing Competition and Award
The Janis Doleschal Risk Management in Sports Law Writing Competition and Award recognizes the Marquette University Law School student who writes the best essay focused on an important risk management related issue in the sport industry.
In order to be eligible to participate in the competition you must be a member of the Sports Law Society or Sports Law Certificate Candidate. Submissions must be original, thought provoking, and well researched essays focused on an interesting risk management issue in the sports industry.
Risk management is a focus on avoiding legal liability and assessing situations of potential harm or damage to mitigate such harm or damage before it occurs. The essay should use a hypothetical situation created by the student, or focus on a situation that is or has already occurred within the sports industry. The essay should then use the law to discuss the ramifications of the situation, what should have been done to avert the situation, and what needs to be done in the future to avoid a similar situation. Submissions must be no less than 10 and no more than 15 double-spaced pages long. Complete details of the competition including submission instructions can be found online here. Submissions are due Friday, March 22, 2019.Contact: Paul Anderson
DDR Lawyers Legal Scholarship -- $1,500
The DDR Lawyers Legal Scholarship by Dolan Dobrinsky Rosenblum, LLP is a recurring scholarship worth $1,500 designed to help one law student with their tuition costs. We welcome all eligible students to apply and look forward to reviewing your application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JAN 31, 2020
The winner will be announced on or before Mar 31, 2020
- Admitted to an accredited law school in the U.S.
- 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA
- APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Completed Application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Upload a 500-600 word original essay on what you hope to achieve in your legal career if awarded this scholarship.
- Upload School Transcript
- Upload Resume
For additional information and to submit your application materials, please visit: https://www.ddrlawyers.com/scholarship/Contact: DDR Lawyers
Good Lawyers / Good People Scholarship -- $1,000Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 3:35pm • TBD
One of the rewarding things about being a personal injury attorney is helping people overcome difficult challenges. We truly enjoy using our abilities and knowledge to help others. We want to help make the same opportunities to help available to others who aspire to use the law to achieve justice and make the world a better and safer place. We are therefore happy to offer two $1,000.00 annual scholarships – one for the fall semester and one for the spring semester – to deserving and qualified students.
- Currently enrolled or accepted as an undergraduate or law student
- Not related to any current Simeone & Miller employee
Please submit a written statement (800-1,000 words) or a video presentation (3-5 minutes) describing the value of using the law to improve people’s lives. You can describe a past experience that motivates you, someone who inspires you, or a vision of what you would like to accomplish.
For the Fall Scholarship, please submit your statement by July 1. The scholarship will be awarded by July 31. For the Spring Scholarship, please submit your statement by November 1. The scholarship will be awarded by November 30.
For additional information, please visit: https://www.simeonemiller.com/scholarship/Contact: Simeone & Miller
WHLA Hispanic Law Student Scholarship -- $2,000Monday, March 18, 2019 - 5:00pm • n/a
The Wisconsin Hispanic Lawyers Association (WHLA) invites current second-year Marquette law students of Hispanic origin to apply for the 2019 WHLA Hispanic Law Student Scholarship. WHLA’s mission includes supporting Hispanic law students who best exemplify achievement and commitment to professional development and a commitment to service within the Hispanic community. WHLA offers a scholarship to one Hispanic student in the second year of studies at each of the Wisconsin’s two law schools.
Qualified students must be enrolled at Marquette University Law School or the University of Wisconsin Law School as a current second-year student. The award will be two thousand dollars ($2000.00) paid toward the tuition of the chosen recipient, announced at a selected date prior to the end of the spring semester of the current academic year term, and applied to the recipient’s tuition account for his/her third year of law school.
REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be enrolled as a second-year full-time or part-time second-year equivalent student, in good standing, at an accredited Wisconsin law school.
- Applicant must be a current 2L in good academic standing; a minimum GPA is not required, but academic achievement will be a factor considered for the scholarship.
- Applicant must be a minimum of 25% Hispanic ethnic origin.
- Consideration will be placed on a student essay describing the applicant’s endeavors, volunteerism, general financial need, and any other factor the student believes is relevant to consideration for the scholarship.
PROCESS: Applicants must submit the following to Dean Fodor no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, March 18, 2019.
- Most recent law school transcript (unofficial)
- Current resume
- Typed personal essay of not more than 500 words
- One letter of recommendation (from an employer, teacher, mentor, advisor, etc.)
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Completed application must be signed and postmarked or electronically transmitted no later than March 18, 2019. The scholarship recipient will be announced by April 8, 2019.
ESSAY INSTRUCTIONS: Applicants must submit a personal essay. The essay may address one or more of the suggested topics below. Applicants are not required to address each topic individually and should not feel restricted to these topics: they are suggestions to assist essay-writing, not to
dictate or limit the essay. The essay should be no more than 500 words. List your name, mailing address, email address, phone number and law school at the top of the first page. List your name at the top of each additional page.
1. Describe any law student activities or any efforts outside of law school that are associated with or in service to the Hispanic community.
2. Describe any specific academic achievements you have had as a law student and your interest in the law as a career.
3. Students who have tuition and resource needs may discuss how this scholarship would assist those needs.
4. Describe your interest in being a lawyer or your career goals after completing law school.
5. Discuss the importance of your Hispanic heritage to you or your family.
6. Discuss any other factors you believe important to your consideration for this scholarship.
Neal Davis Law Scholarship Essay Contest -- $1,000Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
Neal Davis Law is thrilled to offer a new scholarship opportunity. To enter our scholarship essay competition, answer the following question in 500-750 words: "How has the #MeToo movement changed how schools deal with and talk about sexual assault on campus, and what approach in your view would best balance a victim's right to justice with an accused's right to due process/fairness?" Applicants must read, understand, sign and return to us the (PDF) Application for Neal Davis Scholarship Essay Contest along with your submission.
For more info, please visit: Neal Davis Law Scholarship Essay Contest
- Deadline: March 31, 2019
- Award: $1,000
NW Corporate Law Scholarship -- $1,000Monday, April 1, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
Law school in the United States is expensive. Our firm wants to help a law student avoid some of the costs associated with law school, and we are now accepting applications for the Spring 2019 NW Corporate Law scholarship, which will be awarded to one second or third year law student who is in financial need and who is actively enrolled in an ABA-approved law school. Applicants should also have an interest in business law or entrepreneurship.
To be eligible for the Spring 2019 scholarship, the application must be submitted by April 1, 2019.
SPRING 2019 APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
1. Most recent law school transcript.
2. Essay: Law school students are trained in identify problems. In 500 – 700 words identify any problem in your law school instruction, experience, or curriculum, and propose a solution to that identified problem. Points for creativity.
3. Resume: 1 page max, limited to your work, volunteer, and other educational experiences.
For additional information, please visit: https://www.nwcorporatelaw.com/law-scholarship/Contact: NW Corporate Law
Gainsberg Law Annual Scholarship Award -- $2,500Monday, April 1, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
It can take only one second for your life to change forever – something our clients know all too well. At Gainsberg Law, we fight for the futures of our clients, to help them regain what is lost, and to plan for their new lives ahead. We can offer this assistance because of the civil justice system, which allows people to seek redress when a wrong has been committed. To maintain that system, however, we need strong, passionate and dedicated lawyers who promise to uphold the law and protect the system.
We want to help those young lawyers pursue their dreams and protect the justice system. That is why we are proud to announce the Gainsberg Law Annual Scholarship Award. Every year, we will select a student who is, or will be, enrolled in an accredited university or college in the Fall semester of the upcoming academic year. The winner will be announced in June 2019. Upon the student’s request, the non-transferable award can be paid directly to the school.
Scholarship award: $2,500
Eligibility and requirements:
To be eligible for the award, applicants must submit the following no later than April 1, 2019:
- Proof of enrollment for the upcoming academic year
- 2 recommendations from a member of the faculty or staff at the university or school, or from a teacher from the previous year (for incoming students only)
- One essay up to 1,000 words on why you are interested in the law
- Academic Transcripts from the current academic year, 2018-2019
The scholarship will be awarded, and the student notified of his or her selection, by June 2019.
For additional information, please visit: https://www.gainsberglaw.com/scholarship/Contact: Neal Gainsberg
Bohemian Lawyers’ Association of Chicago Scholarship -- Up to $5,000Friday, April 5, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
The Bohemian Lawyers’ Association of Chicago is the oldest ethnic Bar Association in Illinois. All persons of Czech, Moravian, Ruthenian, Silesian, or Slovak ancestry enrolled in an accredited law school in the greater Chicagoland area are eligible for an annual scholarship.
Scholarships from $2,500 up to $5,000, payable to the recipient’s law school, are presented at the Association's Annual Installation Dinner.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Essay (limit 750 words) discussing:
- why you should be awarded a scholarship;
- how you expect to use your law degree;
- your plans for contributing to the community as a lawyer; and
- your Czech, Moravian, Ruthenian, Silesian, or Slovak ancestry
Applications and supporting documents must be emailed on or before April 5, 2019.
For additional information, please visit: https://www.bohemianlawyers.org/scholarships/Contact: Joseph M. Dvorak, IV
Taylor & Ring Victim Advocate Scholarship -- $5,000Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 11:55pm • TBD
Taylor & Ring announces their second annual Victim Advocate Scholarship. This annual award will be given to a student interested in pursuing the study of law with a specific goal of helping survivors of sexual assault, rape, child abuse, or sexual harassment in the workplace. The successful candidate needs to be currently enrolled in, or will be enrolled in, an accredited college or university or law school for the upcoming academic year. The scholarship can be paid directly to the student’s college or law school at his or her request, if necessary.
Scholarship amount: $5,000
- An essay of no more than 1000 words about what the civil justice systems means to you;
- Proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university or law school;
- A brief statement about your financial needs.
We may also ask the finalists for a letter of recommendation from a current or former teacher or professor or advisor.
Applications for the 2019 scholarship award are now being accepted. All applications must have been completed and submitted by April 25, 2019 in order to be eligible for consideration.
For more information, please visit: https://www.taylorring.com/scholarship/Contact: David Ring
Kohlmeyer Hagen Law Office ScholarshipTuesday, April 30, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
We are now accepting applications for our annual Kohlmeyer Hagen Law Office Annual Scholarship worth $1,000. This recurring scholarship will be awarded to one full-time student each spring. Students must be enrolled in an accredited high school, college, university or accredited law school and excels in leadership and academics while maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.0. Although pursuing a legal career is not required, it will be taken into consideration. We invite all eligible students to apply, and we look forward to reviewing your application.
- Application for this scholarship may be submitted by any US citizen enrolled as a full-time student from an accredited high school, community college, college or university or accredited law school.
- A transcript must be attached with counselor or school representative signature for application to substantiate application.
- Although not required, we recommend submitting at least one professional letter of recommendation along with a resume.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
Application Deadline: April 30, 2019
For additional info, please visit: https://khmnlaw.com/scholarship-application/Contact: Jason Kohlmeyer
Rizio Liberty Lipinsky Lawyer Scholarship Fund -- $10,000Wednesday, May 1, 2019 - 5:00pm • n/a
Law Scholarship Requirements:
For the inaugural Rizio Liberty Lipinsky Law Scholarship, we want to learn why you’re pursuing a career in law. In an essay of 1,000 words or less, please tell us what inspired you to pursue a law degree, what you hope to accomplish upon graduation, and why it is important to you to fight for the rights of your fellow citizens.
Law Scholarship Entry Deadlines:
Applications for the scholarship will be accepted from February 1, 2019, through May 1, 2019. The winner will be notified by June 15, 2019. Submissions received before February 1, 2019, or after May 1, 2019, will not be considered.
Open to future law students who have accepted admission into law school for the 2019/2020 academic year, and to current law school students who will still be in law school throughout the 2019/2020 year.
- Future students: Student must be planning to attend law school in the 2019/2020 academic year.
- Current students: Student must be enrolled in law school, and for the 2019/2020 school year.
Law School Scholarship Application Process:
In an essay of 1,000 words or less, please tell us why you’re pursuing a legal career, what you are passionate about, and how the scholarship will allow you to perform your best in law school. Will you be able to free up time and accept a valuable internship? Are there particular volunteer or pro bono services you’d like to be able to participate in, but you need financial help? Explain how this scholarship will enable you to maximize the opportunities to be a voice for victims of injustice. Please email your submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notification of Winner:
The law student selected to receive the $10,000 scholarship from Rizio Liberty Lipinsky Law Firm will be notified by June 15, 2019.
The winner of the 2019 Law School Scholarship will be notified of their win by June 15, 2019. The winner will be required to show proof of enrollment in law school. The financial award will be paid directly to the law school.
The winner will be selected by a panel of judges including the firm’s partners and its senior management team.
For more information, please see the full details of the scholarship opportunity here.Contact: Jen Hadley
Crandall & Pera Law Legal Scholarship -- $3,000Friday, May 31, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Crandall & Pera Law is a medical malpractice and catastrophic injury law firm with locations throughout Ohio and Kentucky. The Crandall & Pera Law Legal Scholarship awards $3000 annually to a student who has demonstrated an interest in a career as a trial lawyer, and a passion for representing injured individuals whose rights have been jeopardized. The scholarship is available to all pre-law, incoming and current students currently enrolled, or who will be enrolled, at an accredited law school for the upcoming semester, who can demonstrate financial need in the form of government-sponsored student loans, who have exemplified exceptional skills as orators and who consider helping those less fortunate a calling that they wish to answer. The student must also have a firm commitment to diversity and equality and be dedicated to protecting the rights of everyone regardless of race, sex, religion or sexual orientation.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must include the following:
- A resume, including a current photo
- An essay or letter of no more than 1200 words on how you meet the criteria
- Up to 3 recommendations from former/current employers, coaches, mentors and/or professors (family members and personal friends are not allowed)
- Undergraduate transcript
Submit applications using the form below. All applications must be submitted by May 31, 2019.
For additional info, please visit: https://www.injuryverdicts.com/scholarship/Contact: Mike Edwards
Michigan Auto Law Diversity Scholarship -- $2,000Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
As part of our commitment to diversity, Michigan Auto Law is pleased to sponsor an annual Diversity Scholarship Program to provide financial support to students who contribute to the diversity of the law school student body as they pursue their legal career.
Our annual scholarship is $2,000.
Application Requirements – Application Deadline: June 1, 2019
The Michigan Auto Law Scholarship Program is a competitive process. Applicants must submit the following items:
- A completed application (see below)
- An unofficial copy of an academic transcript with your student name and college name
- If entering law school in the fall of 2019, an unofficial transcript from your undergrad college and a copy of your acceptance letter to law school
- A typed essay no more than three pages long describing your efforts to encourage greater racial or ethnic diversity within the student body of your law school and/or undergraduate program
For additional details, please visit: https://www.michiganautolaw.com/scholarships/diversity/Contact: Elizabeth Warner
Scooters 'N Chairs Scholarship -- $1,000Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
Scooters 'N Chairs, the #1 online store for mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs, is offering a $1,000 scholarship to eligible students who are currently registered at an officially accredited university or college. This scholarship is offered every fall and spring semester. Applicants are asked to write an essay on an experience over the past semester that required your use of strength and preservereance to overcome. (Please limit your essay to 2,000 words.) For more information and to apply, please visit: https://www.scootersnchairs.com/pages/2019-student-scholarshipContact: Scott Zabriskie
Silverman, McDonald & Friedman Educational Scholarship -- $5,000Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Silverman, McDonald & Friedman proudly announce the annual Silverman, McDonald & Friedman Educational Scholarship. This yearly scholarship will be awarded to a law student who is dedicated to upholding the rights of the injured. The successful candidate will be enrolled, or have proof of future enrollment, in an accredited college, university or law school for the upcoming academic year. The scholarship can be paid directly to the student’s institution, at his or her request.
Scholarship amount: $5,000
To be eligible for the scholarship, please submit the following to the link below:
- An essay of no more than 500 words about what the civil justice systems means to you;
- Proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university or law school;
- A brief statement about your financial needs.
Finalists may be asked for a letter of recommendation from a current or former teacher or professor.
All applications must be completed and submitted by June of 2019 in order to be eligible for consideration. The winner will be notified by July of 2019. Winning essays may be posted on our website, with the student’s approval.Silverman, McDonald & Friedman
Scrofano Law PC Aspiring Public Defender Scholarship -- $1,500Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Scrofano Law PC is a premiere DUI and criminal defense law firm in Washington, DC. At Scrofano Law PC, we believe that working as a public defender is one of the highest callings in the legal profession. Too often public defenders are overworked and under resourced. They face daily insurmountable odds in the courtroom and in a system that is often rigged against their clients. To give back to the legal community and express our admiration and appreciation to those who aspire to fight for the underdog, we have created a scholarship for law students interested in pursuing a career as a public defender.
Scholarship Amount: $1,500.00
- 1st or 2nd year law student
- Interest in legal career representing individuals rather than institutions
- Employed in summer position at a public defender’s office
Deadline: June 1 each year
Application Requirements: Resume, transcript, offer letter or other proof of internship at Public Defenders office that indicates whether paid or unpaid
In addition, please include an essay on the following topic: As a public defender or private criminal defense lawyer, you will often be asked the question: how can you defend people you know are guilty? Respond to that question in 500-700 words.
Submit all application materials in PDF format to email@example.com.
For additional info, please visit: https://www.scrofanolaw.com/firm-profile/scholarships/Contact: Joseph Scrofano
Plattner Verderame Civil Justice Scholarship -- $2,500Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Since Platter Verderame, P.C. was founded in 1991, we have committed ourselves to doing the right thing under the law for the people we serve. Without a strong civil justice system, our clients would have no rights for us to uphold, and no way to improve their lives now and in the future. Wrongdoers would not be held accountable, and safety for all Americans would be reduced. The best way to ensure the civil law that protects us all remains strong is to encourage the best and the brightest students to themselves pick up the torch of justice.
That is why we are proud to announce the Plattner Verderame Civil Justice Scholarship. This annual award will be given to a student interested in any aspect of social or civil justice, who is currently enrolled in, or will be enrolled in, an accredited college or university for the upcoming academic year. The scholarship can be paid directly to the student’s college at his or her request.
Scholarship amount: $2,500
To apply for the scholarship, please submit the following to the form below:
- Proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university.
- One recommendation letter from a current or previous year teacher or professor.
- A 1000-word essay about the American civil justice and jury system.
- All applications must be completed and submitted by June 2019 to be eligible for consideration.
For more information, please visit: https://plattner-verderame.com/scholarship/Contact: Plattner Verderame, P.C.
Legal Scholarship by Moses & Rooth, Attorneys at Law -- $1,000Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Moses and Rooth Attorneys at Law, a criminal defense and DUI law firm located in Orlando, Florida, is offering a $1,000 scholarship to one incoming 1L or currently enrolled law student. The scholarship is offered for the Fall 2019 academic semester.
Essay Topic: Should people be allowed to warn motorists about DUI checkpoints in America?
Scholarship Value: $1,000
Application Deadline: June 1, 2019
- This scholarship will only be awarded to one incoming 1L or a currently enrolled law student
- Hold a 3.0 or higher overall GPA
- Must be a legal resident of the U.S.
For additional details, please visit: https://www.mosesandrooth.com/legal-scholarship/Contact: Moses & Rooth
Yeboah Law Group’s Annual Make a Difference Academic Scholarship -- $3,000Saturday, June 1, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
At the Yeboah Law Group, we work with people whose rights have been violated, and who have sustained serious, often life-threatening injuries caused by the carelessness or indifference of others. We know that what we do makes a difference in the lives of those we serve. Now, we want to help you do the same. To be eligible for the scholarship, please submit the following by June 1, 2019:
- Proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university
- 1 recommendation letter from a current professor (high school students may submit a letter from a teacher from the previous year)
- An essay of no more than 1000 words about how YOU plan on making a difference in your community or in any other community
Scholarship amount: $3,000
The scholarship will be awarded in August 2019 and the student will be notified of his or her selection in August 2019.
For additional info, please visit: https://yeboahlawgroup.com/scholarship/Contact: Samuel Yeboah
2019 Brown Award for Excellence in Legal Writing -- $10,000Monday, June 3, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
The Judge John R. Brown Scholarship Foundation is pleased to announce the twenty-sixth annual Brown Award. The award honors excellence in legal writing in American law schools. Any law student currently enrolled in an accredited law school in the United States seeking a J.D. or LL.B degree is eligible to submit a paper for the award. The awards for 2019 will be as follows:
$10,000 First Place,
$5,000 Second Place,
$3,000 Third Place,
$1,000 Finalist, and
$5,000 to the Scholarship Fund selected by the Dean of the law school in which the First Place candidate is enrolled.
The submission must be postmarked no later than June 3, 2019.
For additional information, please visit: https://www.brownsims.com/about-brown-sims/affiliations/judge-john-r-brown-award/Contact: Brown Sims
ChapmanAlbin Scholarship -- $1,000Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
- Completed scholarship application
- 300-500 word essay (specific topic details can be found on submission form)
- An acceptance letter from an accredited law school in the U.S. (new students) or an unofficial transcript from an accredited law school in the U.S. (current students)
- All materials submitted by June 15, 2019; late or incomplete applications will not be considered
- All materials must be submitted electronically via the form on the ChapmanAlbin website
- Before receiving the award, recipient will be required to demonstrate enrollment at an accredited law school in the U.S.
- A check for $1,000 will be made to the scholarship recipient’s law school of choice to cover expenses
- Scholarship is to be used exclusively to cover law school tuition and other related expenses such as books or room/board
- Recipient is expected to submit receipts in accordance with IRS regulations
For additional details, please visit: https://www.johnschapman.com/about-us/law-school-scholarship/Contact: ChapmanAlbin Law Firm
Dawson & Albritton Overcoming Adversity Law School Scholarship -- $1,500Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
As lawyers, we understand that law school is expensive. We also know that life can take unexpected turns such as a car accident or unexpected death, leading to sudden financial strain. However, overcoming hardships can challenge you to grow as a person and as a future attorney.
We are offering one $1,500 scholarship to a law student who writes a 500-word essay on how they have overcome some form of adversity in their lives such as a medical issue, a car accident or disruptive family circumstances. Essays should also explain how overcoming adversity has impacted their personal growth.
- Students must write approximately 500 words on how an adverse circumstance affected them and how they overcame this hardship.
- Essays should succinctly tell your story and demonstrate your personal growth.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited law school during the 2019 fall semester.
- Students must send in their application by the June 15th deadline.
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://dawsonalbritton.com/scholarship/Contact: Wyatt Denton
Cunningham & Mears Academic Scholarship -- $2,500Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
The Cunningham & Mears Academic Scholarship is an annual award of $2,500, presented by the firm, to a student who wishes to pursue the study of History or Law. The successful candidate must be enrolled in, or have proof of upcoming enrollment in, an accredited college, university, or law school for the upcoming academic school year. The scholarship can be paid directly to the institution upon the request of the student.
Scholarship amount: $2,500
Applicants must submit the following information in order to be considered eligible for the scholarship:
- Proof of enrollment in the institution
- A statement of financial need
- 1 letter of recommendation from someone familiar with your academic work
- An essay of no more than 1000 words about why you chose to study History or Law
- Applicants must fill out the form found here.
If you have any questions, you may contact us GivingBack@cunninghamandmears.com. All application information will be kept confidential until a winner is chosen.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2019 scholarship award. All applications must be completed and submitted in full by June 15, 2019 in order to be eligible for consideration. The award winner will be announced July 15, 2019.
For more info, please visit: https://www.cunninghamandmears.com/cunningham-mears-academic-scholarship/Contact: Cunningham & Mears
Annual Law Student Writing Competition -- $3,000Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
The ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law and The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers are pleased to announce their 2017-2018 writing competition. This competition is open to articles written while the author is an active student at an accredited law school in the United States. Authors may not have graduated from law school prior to December 1, 2017. Graduate students in law school (LLM candidates) are not eligible. Entries should address aspects of public or private sector labor and/or employment law relevant to the American labor and employment bar. Students are encouraged to discuss novel issues, innovative ideas, or fresh perspectives on the following areas affecting labor and employment in the U.S. and/or abroad that would be noteworthy to the U.S.: a public policy issue; practical implications of a leading case or doctrine; a statute or the need for statutory modification; or a common law doctrine. Articles may address U.S. law, international law of relevance to U.S. labor and employment attorneys, or how a legal topic is treated in states across the country. Papers limited to the law of a single state will not be considered. Papers must be analytical in nature, not merely a summary of the law. Students must present and discuss competing points of view with respect to the issue addressed and must distinguish their conclusions from opposing positions with sound logic and reference to multiple primary and secondary sources. We discourage students from writing articles about a recent Supreme Court decision or a case pending before the Supreme Court, unless the article is novel and focuses upon case law or statutory developments subsequent to the Supreme Court’s decision.
Prizes are as follows: First Place: $3000; Second Place: $1000, and Third Place: $500. The firstplace winning article may be selected for publication in the ABA Journal of Labor & Employment Law. In addition, the author of the first-place paper will be a guest at the annual Continuing Legal Education program of the ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law and honored at the Annual Induction Dinner of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. The College and the Section reserve the right not to select any article for publication or award any prizes if, in their judgment, the submissions do not meet their standards for outstanding legal writing.
Submission date: June 15, 2019 by midnight (EDT)
Complete competition rules can be found on the College website at www.laborandemploymentcollege.org.Contact: Susan Wan
Wilshire Law Firm Legal Scholar Award -- $1,000Friday, June 28, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Wilshire Law Firm is committed to helping the next generation of attorneys succeed. Founding partner Bobby Saadian strongly believes that monetary concerns should never get in the way of an exceptional student interested in studying the law. And when that student’s intent is to help others through the legal system, then they should receive the support and resources that they need to pursue such a noble goal.
Becoming an attorney requires a significant financial investment. Students who demonstrate a dedication to their academic pursuits and their community are to be celebrated, not discouraged. To that end, Wilshire Law Firm is pleased to offer the Legal Scholar Award for currently enrolled law school students.
The Legal Scholar Award will be presented to a worthy student currently in law school. This $1,000 scholarship recognizes that individual’s academic achievement and spirit of giving back in spite of a heavy workload.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Students must be a US citizen or a permanent resident.
- Student must have at least two semesters of law school left to complete.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Must demonstrate involvement in community activities.
- Students must submit a 600-word essay explaining which field of law they’re interested in pursuing and why. Also, how they plan to use their law degree in that field upon graduation.
- Students are required to submit an unofficial copy of their law school transcripts.
Please send the application materials, via email or fax, on or before the June 28, 2019 deadline.
For additional info, please visit: https://wilshirelawfirm.com/scholarships/legal-scholar-award/Contact: Wilshire Law Firm
Wagner & Wagner Annual Civil Justice Scholarship Award -- $2,500Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
Since 1945, Wagner & Wagner Attorneys at Law has helped to protect the rights of the injured. We take this role very seriously, because communities are always stronger when they work together. We believe that the legal community deserves our best and our brightest, to keep the civil justice system strong. For this reason, we are proud to offer the Wagner & Wagner Annual Scholarship Award. Each year, we will award $2,500 to an eligible law or pre-law student who is enrolled in, or has proof of upcoming enrollment in, an accredited college or university for the Fall semester.
Scholarship award: $2,500
Eligibility and requirements:
To be eligible for the award, applicants must submit the following no later than June 30, 2019:
- Proof of enrollment for the upcoming academic year
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a member of the faculty or staff at the university or school, or from a teacher from the previous year (for incoming students only)
- One (1) essay up to 1,000 words on “The injured plaintiff’s right to be compensated through litigation or mediation.”
- Academic Transcripts from the current academic year (2018-2019)
We will award the scholarship and notify the winner by July 2019.
For more info, please visit: https://www.wagnerinjury.com/civil-justice-scholarship-award/Contact: Wagner & Wagner Attorneys at Law
Barry J. Nace Pursuit of Justice Scholarship -- $3,000Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
Attorney Barry J. Nace has been at the forefront of groundbreaking litigation in state and federal courtrooms around the country. His dedication to offering hope to those who feel like they have nowhere to turn has inspired his sons – attorneys Christopher, Jonathan and Matt – to follow in his footsteps. To that end, the firm has created the Barry J. Nace Pursuit of Justice Scholarship, to be awarded annually to any student who believes that “justice for all” is a pledge we make to one another.
SCHOLARSHIP VALUE: $3,000
- Applicant must already be accepted into an undergraduate program at a university or college.
- Strong passion for civil justice
- Why do you require financial help? What would the $3,000 would be spent on? (Tuition, Housing, Books, Etc.)
- What drives your pursuit for civil justice? (Under 300 words please.)
- All applications must be received by June 30, 2019.
For more information, please visit: https://www.paulsonandnace.com/barry-j-nace-pursuit-of-justice-scholarship/Contact: Mike Edwards
Harris Lowry Manton LLP Civil Justice Scholarship -- $5,000Sunday, June 30, 2019 - 11:55pm • n/a
At Harris Lowry Manton LLP, we are guided by the principle that everyone is equal under the law, and that all people should have access to justice. In order ensure that our civil justice system is fair, just and open to all who need it, we need to support it from the ground up – and that means ensuring that strong, competent and educated attorneys are there for the people who need them the most.
That is why we are pleased to announce the Annual Harris Lowry Manton LLP Civil Justice Scholarship. This award will be given to any incoming or current law student who is either currently enrolled, or who has accepted a place, in an accredited law school for the Fall semester of the upcoming academic year. This annual scholarship will be awarded at the end of July, and can be paid directly to the school upon the winner’s request. The award is non-transferable.
Scholarship award: $5,000
To be eligible for the award, applicants must submit the following no later than June 30, 2019:
- Proof of enrollment for the upcoming academic year
- One recommendation from a member of the faculty or staff at the university or school (incoming IL students may submit a letter from a teacher from the previous year)
- An essay of no more than 1,000 words about the importance of the right to a trial by jury
For additional information, please visit: https://www.hlmlawfirm.com/annual-harris-lowry-manton-llp-academic-scholarship-award/Contact: Harris Lowry Manton LLP
2019 American Inns of Court Warren E. Burger Prize -- $5,000Monday, July 1, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
The American Inns of Court Warren E. Burger Prize is a writing competition designed to promote scholarship in the areas of professionalism, ethics, civility, and excellence. Interested authors are asked to submit an original, unpublished essay of 10,000 to 20,000 words on a topic that addresses issues of legal excellence, civility, ethics, and professionalism.
- The author of the winning essay will receive a cash prize of $5,000
- The essay will be published in the South Carolina Law Review
- The prize will be presented to the recipient at the American Inns of Court annual Celebration of Excellence at the Supreme Court of the United States
DEADLINE: July 1, 2019Cindy Dennis
2019 Tannenwald Writing Competition -- Up to $5,000Monday, July 8, 2019 - 8:00pm • n/a
Named for the late Tax Court Judge Theodore Tannenwald, Jr., and designed to perpetuate his dedication to legal scholarship of the highest quality, the Tannenwald Writing Competition is open to all full or part-time law school students, undergradate or graduate. Papers on any federal or state tax-related topic may be submitted in accordance with the Competition Rules.
Cash prizes of $5,000, $2,500 and $1,500 for the top three papers.
Deadline for submitting papers: 9:00 p.m. EDT, July 8, 2019.
Competition Rules can be found at https://www.tannenwald.org/Competition-Rules.Contact: Nancy Abramowitz
Sutliff & Stout Law School Scholarship Contest -- $2,000Thursday, August 1, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
Sutliff & Stout is guided by the idea that all people are entitled to high-quality legal representation, regardless of wealth or social status. This idea requires that there are enough high-quality attorneys and legal professionals working in the field to support those who are in need of representation.
In an effort to enable more students who have a passion for law to be able to pursue that passion, our Houston car accident attorneys are offering an annual scholarship contest which will award a law student with a $2,000 award to be put toward his or her law school costs.
We are asking students to write an essay in which they answer the simple question: Why do you want to study law? The most compelling and articulate writer, as judged by the staff at Sutliff & Stout, will receive $2,000.
Applicants must be enrolled or accepted into an ABA-accredited law school in the United States as of the fall 2019 semester.
Applicants must submit the required information on or before Thursday, August 1, 2019
Applications must be received by no later than Thursday, August 1, 2019.
For additional info, please visit: https://www.sutliffstout.com/about-us/community/law-school-scholarship/Contact: Hank Stout
Miller Leonard Criminal Justice Reform Scholarship -- $1,000Thursday, August 1, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
Miller Leondard, PC announces their Criminal Justice Reform Scholarship. We are asking students to write an essay in which they answer this question:
What is the single most important reform that ought to be made to the United States criminal justice system?
The writer of the most compelling essay, as judged by criminal defense attorney Miller Leonard, will receive $1,000 to be put toward their legal education.
Requirements: Applicants must be enrolled or accepted into an ABA accredited law school in the United States as of the fall 2019 semester.
Deadline: August 1, 2019
For more info or to apply, please visit: https://millerleonardlaw.com/about/criminal-justice-scholarship/Contact: Wyatt Denton
2019 Weiss & Paarz Annual National Law Scholarship -- $1,000Monday, September 30, 2019 - 12:00pm • n/a
Each year, Weiss & Paarz will award a $1,000 Law Scholarship to a student starting or continuing law school anywhere in the United States of America.
Scholarships will be awarded each year to the student who demonstrates all of the following qualities and characteristics:
- Financial need
- Exceptional work ethic
- Strength in the face of adversity
- Outstanding academic achievement
- Commitment to the local community and charitable giving
- Ability to lead others
- Overall moral character
All applications must include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume listing work experience, educational background, and high school and college grade point average and class rank, if applicable;
- Personal Statement, which includes a description of your career goals and what you plan to use the scholarship funding for (2 pages maximum);
- Confirmation of enrollment in an ABA-accredited law school or copy of your current student ID; and copy of your state ID or driver’s license
For additional information, please visit: https://www.weisspaarz.com/2019-weiss-paarz-national-law-scholarship/Contact: Sarah Weiss Rozalis
Mesriani Law Group Scholarship--$500Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 12:00pm • N/A
The MLG Scholarship For Future Litigation Lawyers
Mesriani Law Group understands the rigorous process that young law students go through to achieve their dreams of becoming practicing attorneys, along with the financial burdens that come with it. Many students often have to apply for financial aid and take out astronomical student loans, which is why grant programs are a great way to ease some of the difficulties associated with pursuing higher education.
In an effort to help bring forth excellent young lawyers to the forefront, MLG is offering a scholarship grant to determined and passionate future litigation lawyers.
A scholarship grant amounting to $500 shall be awarded to students who demonstrate the qualities and unimpeachable character embodied by every MLG lawyer:
- Exceptional leadership skills
- Outstanding work ethic
- Commitment to serve less fortunate litigants
- Unquestionable integrity and moral character
- Resilience in the face of adversity
MLG Scholarship Winner
The winner of the Mesriani Law Group Scholarship Offer shall receive the grant through check, which shall be written to the recipient’s school of choice. This grant shall be used exclusively for the winner’s current studies, including tuition and books.
Note: The winner will not be eligible to join the immediately succeeding scholarship grant.
Eligibility & Requirements
Apart from stellar academic performance and the aforementioned characteristics and qualities, eligible applicants for the MLG scholarship grant must also possess the following:
- Must be enrolled in any of the accredited colleges or universities in the U.S.
- Must be a current law school student or an undergraduate student interested in pursuing law school
To apply for our law scholarship grant, student applicants are required to submit the following:
- An original essay advocating why they should be chosen as the winner the MLG scholarship grant
- Proof of current enrollment
- School I.D. and a government issued I.D. (i.e. driver’s license)
- Curriculum vitae
Procedure & Deadline
All applicants must send their applications by way of the following:
- E-mail to Tricia Hallare at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Registered/ordinary mail to 5723 Melrose Ave FL 2 Los Angeles, CA 90038
Deadline of submissions should be made on or before December 31, 2019.
The winner of the MLG scholarship will be notified via e-mail.Contact: Tricia Hallare