Summer Youth Institute: Program Application
SYI is open to students who will enter the 8th, 9th, or 10th grade next fall. Enrollment is limited to approximately 24 students who live and attend school in the City of Milwaukee. Students who are first-generation college bound or use English as a second language are strongly encouraged to apply. The goals of the program are to provide access to a law school educational experience for first-generation, low-income, and/or underrepresented students in law school programs, and ultimately, to contribute to the diversification of legal practitioners in Milwaukee and beyond. Interested students are welcome to submit an application anytime.
The application deadline is March 30, 2018.
To apply, students must submit each of the following:
1. Completed application form.
2. Letter of recommendation from a teacher, mentor, or other non-family member.
- Download a recommendation form here.
- Your recommender is welcome to submit a letter without using the form.
- The recommendation may be uploaded and attached to the online application form, or faxed or mailed directly to Marquette University Law School at the address below.
3. Statement of interest.
- This should be a typewritten essay of no more than 500 words telling us about yourself, why you would like to participate in the Summer Youth Institute, and how you would contribute to the program.
- This statement should reflect a tone that demonstrates sincere interest in the program and the seriousness with which you will apply yourself.
- The committee gives serious consideration to your statement of interest.
- Online applicants are provided space on their application form to include their statement of interest. Paper applicants should fax or mail their statement of interest directly to Marquette University Law School at the address below.
4. Copy of your most recent report card.
- The report card may be uploaded and attached to the online application form, or faxed or mailed directly to Marquette University Law School at the address below.
If you have any questions about the application process or required materials, please do not hesitate to call the Summer Youth Institute at 414-288-3357.
Marquette University Law School
Attn: Summer Youth Institute
1215 W. Michigan Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Summer Youth Institute Fax: 414-288-0200