Summer Youth Institute: Program Application
SYI is open to students who will enter the 8th, 9th, or 10th grade next fall. Enrollment is limited to approximately 24 students who live and attend school in the City of Milwaukee. Students who are first-generation college bound or use English as a second language are strongly encouraged to apply. The goals of the program are to provide access to a law school educational experience for first-generation, low-income, and/or underrepresented students in law school programs, and ultimately, to contribute to the diversification of legal practitioners in Milwaukee and beyond.
The 2019 application deadline is Friday, March 29.
To apply, students must submit each of the following:
1. Completed application form.
2. Statement of interest.
- This should be a essay of no less than 250 words but no more than 500 words telling us about yourself, why you would like to participate in the Summer Youth Institute, and how you would contribute to the program.
- This statement should reflect a tone that demonstrates sincere interest in the program and the seriousness with which you will apply yourself.
- The committee gives serious consideration to your statement of interest.
- Online applicants are provided space on their application form to include their statement of interest. Paper applicants should email, fax, or mail their statement of interest directly to Marquette University Law School at the contact information supplied below.
3. Letter of recommendation from a teacher, school counselor, mentor, pastor, employer, or other non-family member.
- Give your recommender the following instructions:
- Letters should indicate the candidate's full name, preferably in the first paragraph.
- Letters should be typed, not handwritten.
- Letters should be printed on professional letterhead.
- Letters require the writer's signature and typed full name.
- A recommendation letter should be no more than one page and should include the following:
- How long and in what capacity the writer has known the applicant.
- The writer's estimates of the candidate's general promise as an attendee of the Summer Youth Institute's rigorous program.
- Consider including answers to the following questions: How do you rate the applicant's overall ability to work hard? To follow-through on commitments? To work with others? To manage complex information? To what extend is the applicant persistent and motivated? Is there reason to doubt her or his commitment to the Summer Youth Institute program?
- The letter of recommendation may be uploaded and attached to the online application form, or it may be emailed, faxed, or mailed directly to Marquette University Law School at the contact information supplied below.
4. Copy of your most recent report card.
- Please supply the report card that is most recent at the time you are submitting your application.
- The report card may be uploaded and attached to the online application form, or it may be emailed, faxed, or mailed directly to Marquette University Law School at the contact information supplied below.
If you have any questions about the application process or required materials, please do not hesitate to call the Summer Youth Institute at 414-288-7924.
Marquette University Law School
Attn: Summer Youth Institute
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201