United States Federal Government, Sports Research Resources
This page provides links to important U.S. government and federal research resources that may be useful for a sports law researcher or scholar.
Federal Statutes Related to Sports Law
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C. § 12101 (2017).
- Bribery in Sporting Contests Act of 1979, 18 U.S.C. § 224 (2017).
- Curt Flood Act of 1998, 15 U.S.C. § 26(b) (2017).
- Equal Pay Act of 1963, 29 U.S.C. § 206(d) (2017).
- Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, 20 U.S.C. § 1001 et seq. (2017).
- Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, 28 U.S.C § 3701-3704 (2017).
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 701 (2017).
- Sherman Antitrust Act, 15 U.S.C. 1 et seq. (2017).
- Sports Agent Responsibility and Trust Act, 15 U.S.C. § 7801 (2017).
- Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, 15 U.S.C. § 1291 (2017).
- Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act, 36 U.S.C. § 220501 (2017).
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, 42 U.S.C. § 2000e-2(a) (2017).
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, 20 U.S.C. § 1681 (2017).
Department of Education Documents Related to Athletics
- A Policy Interpretation: Title IX and Intercollegiate Athletics (1979)
- Athletic Equity Resources
- Protecting Students - Athletics
- Clarification of Intercollegiate Athletics Policy Guidance: The Three-Part Test
- Further Clarification of Intercollegiate Athletics Policy Guidance Regarding Title IX Compliance (2003)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Athletic Activities Counted for Title IX Compliance (2008)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Bowling Green State University (1998)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Intercollegiate Athletics Policy Clarification: Three-Part Test ― Part Three (2010)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Transgender Students (2016)
- Enforcement Guidance on Sex Discrimination in the Compensation of Sports Coaches in Educational Institutions (1997)
- Equity in Athletics Data Analysis Cutting Tool
- Office for Civil Rights, Education - Athletics
- Policy Interpretations of the Rehabilitation Act (1978)
- Racial Incidents and Harassment Against Students at Educational Institutions; Investigative Guidance (1994)
- Report to the President and Secretary of Education (2015)
- Revised Sexual Harassment Guidance: Harassment Of Students By School Employees, Other Students, Or Third Parties (2001)
- Secretary's Commission on Opportunity in Athletics (2003)
- Sexual Harassment Guidance: Harassment of Students By School Employees, Other Students, Or Third Parties (1997)
- Title IX Enforcement Highlights (2012)
- Title IX Regulations (1979)
GAO Reports Related to Athletics
- Concussion in High School Sports: Overall Estimate of Occurrence Is Not Available, but Key State Laws and Nationwide Guidelines Address Injury Management (2010)
- Gender Equity: Men's and Women's Participation in Higher Education (2000)
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Four-Year Colleges' Experiences Adding and Discontinuing Teams (2001)
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Recent Trends in Teams and Participants in National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports (2007)
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Status of Efforts to Promote Gender Equity (1996)
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Trends by Sport in National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports (2007)
- Sports Programs’ Guidance, Practices, and Policies to Help Prevent and Respond to Sexual Abuse (2015)
- U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) Reports & Testimonies
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Comparison of Selected Characteristics for Men’s and Women’s Programs (1999)
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Revenues and Expenses, Gender and Minority Profiles, and Compensation in Athletic Departments (1992)