Student Employment

Law School Student Employment FAQs

1. How do I become a Marquette Law School student employee?

Many law students work for Marquette University during their tenure at the Law School. The majority of these students become employed as paid research assistants for members of the full-time law faculty. Please contact individual faculty members to inquire about paid research assistantships. Current opportunities are also posted in Law News.

The Law School also posts employment opportunities open to all Marquette students on JobX. Please check back frequently.

2. What if I am not currently a Marquette student, but I am interested in these job opportunities?

Student employment opportunities with the Law School are only available to current Marquette students. However, if you would like to explore other employment opportunities with Marquette, please check out the University's employment webpage.

3. I've been selected for a student employment opportunity with the Law School, now what?

Once you have been selected for a student employment opportunity with the Law School, please visit Emma Geiser at the front desk in the Student Affairs Office, Room 238 to begin the hiring process.

In accordance with University policy, a student must complete all payroll paperwork and be fully authorized for employment by the University prior to beginning any work for Marquette.

4. How will I know when I've completed the hiring process and am approved to begin working?

Student Affairs Office Associate Emma Geiser will walk you through the Student Employment Authorization Process and let you know when you can begin working. Please stop by the Student Affairs Office, Room 238 to get started.

Click here to read more about the Law School's Student Employment Authorization Process.

Click here for a Salary Authorization Request Form.

Once authorized, a student employee may begin to submit hours for payment. Student payments are issued on a bi-weekly basis and are deposited directly into an account designated by the employee. 

5. How do I report my hours?

All law school student employees must use the web-based timekeeping system, EmpCenter, to record their hours. Hours must be reported in real timeMore information on EmpCenter can be found here. It takes up to 3 business days for your new hire to show up in EmpCenter, so it is imperative that you complete the hiring process before you begin your work assignment.  

Mobile access to timekeeping information and EmpCenter is located here.

Additionally, Research Assistants and Waukesha County employees must email their total hours to their supervising professors or direct supervisors each pay period in which work is performed, requesting time approval.

Click here for additional Timekeeping Information and Employment & Payroll Contact Information.

6. What if I forget to clock-in/out in EmpCenter or have another timekeeping issue to report?

Please use this online form to report timekeeping errors and issues.

7. Where can I find a copy of the payroll schedule?

8. How many hours may I work?

Students may work up to 20 hours per week during regular class terms (fall and spring terms) and up to 37.5 hours per week during breaks and summer terms. Overtime is not permitted. PLEASE NOTE: Research assistants often have special hours restrictions. Please discuss these restrictions directly with your supervising professor.

University's statement on summer hours restrictions (includes Summer FICA tax exemption rules)

9. What if I have more than one paid position with Marquette?

If a student has more than one paid position at Marquette University, all wages will be issued as one bi-weekly payment from Marquette. Since the University combines your hours and wages, please be careful not to exceed your total allotted hours (see #8).

10. Where can I print a pay stub or view my payroll information?

All payroll information is located on MyJob. This includes pay stubs, W-2s, hour accruals, and wage information. Instructions for setting up a direct deposit account can be found here. Note that direct deposit is mandatory.

11. I am a current employee who needs to be reauthorized to continue my employment with the Law School. What do I do?

Reauthorization for your employment term happens twice per year: 1) at the start of the academic year, and 2) at the start of the summer term. If you need to be reauthorized to continue your employment with the Law School, you can do so quickly and easily by submitting your request for reauthorization online.

Please note, if you do not submit a reauthorization request, the system will automatically terminate your position when an employment term ends. Delays in payment due to automatic termination in the payroll system will likely occur.

12. Do I need to do anything when/if my job assignment with the Law School ends?

Please email Law School Student Services to alert us to the end of your job assignment with the Law School so that we can make the necessary adjustments in our timekeeping and payroll systems.

13. Am I permitted to keep working after I graduate?

Student employees may NOT work beyond graduation.

14. I am currently a paid research assistant. How do I set up my printing rights?

Research assistants for pay (or credit) may sign up for printing rights at this link. Please allow at least two (2) business days for account setup.

15. Who should I contact with questions about Law School student employment and/or payroll?

For further information regarding student employment or student employee payroll at the Law School, please contact Law School Student Services at 414-288-7090. Students interested in employment opportunities with the law library are encouraged to contact the Eckstein Law Library at 414-288-7092.