Electronic Exams - FAQ
Students will need to install Examplify, register the software, get exams, and submit the user agreement by November 20, 2017.
Students must submit the user agreement one time each academic year. This confirms that you have updated the software, the software works on your computer, and that you are reminded of your responsibilities if you use Examplify.
- You must provide your own computer.
- That computer must meet the minimum system requirements.
- That computer needs to be up to date with all of the operating system updates.
- Your computer must have an updated anti-virus program.
- You need to download & install the latest Examplify.
- You must type the user agreement into a practice exam to familiarize yourself with the software and how to type exam answers.
- The 2017_18UserAgreement must be submitted before November 20, 2017.
- Students must install Examplify, submit the user agreement, and update exams and licenses before the announced deadline.
- You may opt out at any time. If, for example, your computer starts to act up prior to exams, simply handwrite the exam.
- You are not obligated to type the exam if you have submitted the practice exam containing the agreement.
- If you have not submitted the practice exam containing the agreement, you may not type the exam. You will be directed to room 455 and wait for any software installation assistance. Time will not be put back on your exam due to not adhering to the deadline.
Do I need to submit the user agreement even if I used SofTest last semester (Spring 2017)?
- Yes, you need to submit the user agreement one time, each academic year. This serves two purposes; it validates that you have successfully installed the software and it reminds you of your responsibilities regarding Examplify.
What happens exam day?
- You must be in the exam room 20 minutes prior to the start of the exam. If you are not in the exam room by that time, you may be asked to hand write.
- Turn on your computer and open Examplify.
- Open the exam (exam passwords will be available in the exam room).
- Click "Start Exam" and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Type several characters and select the SAVE item from the file menu. Examplify will save your work every 60 seconds. You may choose the SAVE item at any time.
- Save your file & exit Examplify.
- After you close Examplify your network access is restored. Examplify will initiate the transfer process.
- You will return a pink sheet form to your professor / proctor indicating your anonymous number and stating that you have successfully uploaded the exam.
- You will receive an email confirmation from Examplify indicating that you have successfully submitted your exam.
What happens if something goes wrong while typing the exam?
- From the agreement:
If I have any doubts about my computer's reliability, I will plan to write my exams. Otherwise, I plan to use the Examplify software for the exams when offered.
- In the event of a system failure you can try to reboot your computer. If a reboot doesn't produce satisfactory results, you will finish the exam by writing in a bluebook.
- An attempt will be made, after submitting the completed hand written exam, to recover the incomplete exam from your hard drive. If the incomplete exam cannot be retrieved within 24 hours, the Associate Dean for Administration, in consultation with the professor, will determine remedial options, if any.
- Time taken to provide troubleshooting is time that is lost from the exam. The exam period will not be extended to accommodate technical troubleshooting.
What keys and functions are disabled during a Examplify session?
- All Function Keys: F1-F12
- Right-Click and Double-Click-All right-click and double-click functions can be executed by using the pull-down menus.
- Start Menu Button
- Ctrl-Alt-Delete- SofTest disables the Ctrl-Alt-Delete key sequence manual restart function.
What word processing features are included?
- All basic editing functions are included. Spell & grammar check are disabled. From a technical standpoint, the only change is the disabling of the right-mouse click. All the features accessed from right-mouse click are accessible from the menu options.
How does the security work?
Examplify has three layers of security:
- Lockdown of all Microsoft Windows and MAC OS-X functionality. The student is locked into a secure word processing window. This lockdown functionality is also invoked during a restart and reboot.
- Alarm and monitor software, which, in the unlikely event of a breakout, will detect and record the violation on the encrypted exam.
- Encryption of all exam files.
Can I check out a laptop from the library to use Examplify?
You may not check out a laptop for the use of Examplify from the library, nor may you check out a laptop charger from the Media and Technology Group, or Library Circulation.
If you are not sure about the system requirements, assistance is available from the Media & Technology Group located in Eckstein Hall Room 218. We can assist you with updating your computer and installing free anti-virus software prior to the noted deadline date.