New Student Orientation
MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION - FALL 2016
Orientation Welcome Information Packet and Preliminary Orientation Schedules
All entering Marquette University Law School students are required to participate in the Orientation program. The Law School emailed an Orientation packet to entering, first-year students in late June with links to a variety of documents and important information. Please click the links below to review the materials sent.
- University Financial Responsibility Agreement (submit by July 31)
- How to Obtain your MarquetteCard
- University Parking Information
- Health and Wellness Services and Health Insurance
- Law School Technology and Communication
- Thursday, August 18 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (attendance required)
- Friday, August 19 from 8:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. (attendance required)
Orientation Schedule for Transfer and Visiting Students
- Friday, August 19 from 9:15 a.m. to 3 p.m. (attendance required)
Optional Social Event and Student Organization and Services Fair for All Entering Students
- Wednesday, August 17 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- The event is optional, but students are encouraged to attend and may bring a friend or family member.
- Please RSVP for this event.
The Dean's Reception
All new students should reserve the evening of Friday, August 19 for the Dean's reception. The Law School will email an invitation to all entering students later this summer.
Further details will be posted over the summer months. All questions regarding new student orientation should be directed to Assistant Dean Amy Rogan-Mehta. Please note that all times are tentative and will be finalized later in the summer.
Fall semester classes begin on Monday, August 22.
REGISTRATION FOR CLASSES
The first-year curriculum at Marquette Law School, as at most ABA-accredited law schools, is completely prescribed. Registration for first-year students is an entirely automated process that will be handled for all entering students by the Law School Registrar. Entering first-year students do NOT need to register for their fall semester classes. Course schedules are typically posted in CheckMarq in July but are subject to change until they are finalized in early August. The Law School Registrar will inform all students when schedules have been finalized.
Full-time students should anticipate a class schedule of Monday through Friday. Fall semester first year courses are Torts, Criminal Law, Contracts, and Legal Analysis, Writing and Research I. A typical course schedule will include two classes per day with one in the morning and one in the afternoon with a break during the mid-day.
Entering part-time students take two first-year (1L) courses in each of their first fall and spring semesters during the day with their full-time peers. In subsequent semesters, students may add more credits if so desired.
Students should anticipate conferring with Associate Dean Bonnie Thomson over the summer regarding available course and schedules options after all tuition deposit(s) are received and prior to registration.
Depending upon the rotation of course offerings, entering part-time students choose two of the following three courses for their first fall semester: Criminal Law, Torts, or Contracts. Generally, three schedule options are available each semester for entering part-time students:
- 3 days per week, two classes per day with one in the morning and one in the afternoon with a break during the mid-day.
- 5 days per week (Monday – Friday), 1 class per day, mornings only.
- 5 days per week (Monday – Friday), 1 class per day, afternoons only.
Other schedule options may be available, depending on the class schedule offered in a given semester, and can be discussed with Dean Thomson.
Transfer and Visitor Registration
Transfer and visiting students should anticipate meeting with Associate Dean Bonnie Thomson prior to registration to discuss course selection and to register for classes.