Attorney Martin J. Greenberg has been a sports lawyer and sports law professor at Marquette University Law School for several decades. During that time he has established an expertise in the representation of collegiate coaches. Professor Greenberg currently teaches a course at the Law School titled "Represeting Professional Athletes and Coaches," wherein he provides students with specific instruction related to the "formation, interpretation, negotiation and enforcement of sports marketing contracts as well as coaches' contracts." In addition, since Professor Greenberg created the National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School in 1989, he has provided dedicated research and scholarship related to college coaching contracts. This page provides links to Professor Greenberg's scholarship related to college coaching contract issues.
- Summer Camps - A Coach's Primer (April 10, 2014).
- Bill Gibbons: A Student-Athlete Finally Takes the Coach to Court (February 6, 2014)
- Coaching Free Agency Has a Price: Liquidated Damages Upheld in the Geno Ford / Kent State Case (December 3, 2013)
(October 23, 2013)
- Coach Accountability Reduces Vicarious Liability (September 6, 2013)
- Mike Rice, Jr., For Cause or Not For Cause -- You Make the Call (August 9, 2013)
- Steve Alford - Postscript - An Expensive Buyout Provision (July 29, 2013)
- Steve Alford - Coaching Free Agency is Just a Matter of Money (June 24, 2013)
- CEOs in Headphones - Postscript (June 13, 2013)
- CEOs in Headphones - Financial Engineering (May 1, 2013)
- Consent to Interview - Best Practices (March 25, 2013)
- Wisconsin Concussion Law is a No Brainer (March 5, 2013)
- Opinion: Behind the Bielema Jump, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (December 19, 2012)
- Rollover Clauses Still Utilized In College Coaching Contracts (November 1, 2012)
- At Last - Rulings in the Williams v. Smith and Marist v. Brady cases (September 24, 2012)
- The Defense of Sovereign Immunity: Mike Leach and Texas Tech (September 4, 2012).
- Tattoogate Impacts Urban Meyer's new OSU Contract (August 1, 2012).
- University of Illinois Assistant Coaches Controversy: A re-examination of Assistant Coaches' Term of Contract (March 16, 2012).
- Tattoogate (January10, 2012).
- A bad year for college sports raises questions, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (December 24, 2011)
- "The Secret Agreement" (July 18, 2011).
- Take My Coach and I'll Take You to Court (January 4, 2011).
- Head Coach’s Authority to Hire Assistant Coaches and the Necessity of a Paper Trail – The Jimmy Williams Case, Volume 21, No. 3 (July – September 2010)
- The Use of Clawback Clauses in College Coaches’ Contracts, Volume 21, No. 2 (April – June 2010)
- Leaping Without Looking: MOUs Create Risks When Universities Do Not Know Their Legal Significance, Vol. 21, No. 1 (January – March 2010)
- Interview – You May Be Fired, Volume 20, No. 1 (January – March 2009)
- Rich Rodriquez – Jumping Has Legal Consequences, Volume 19, No. 4 (October – December 2008)
- College Athletics – Chasing the Big Bucks, Volume 19, No. 2 (April – June 2008)
- Good Drafting Makes Good Contracts, Volume 18, No. 3 (July-September 2007)
ARTICLES FROM THE MARQUETTE SPORTS LAW REVIEW
- Greenberg, Martin J. and Paul, Djenane (2013). Coaches' Contracts: Terminating A Coach Without Cause and the Obligation to Mitigate Damages, Vol, 23, Iss. 2 (23 Marq. Sports L. Rev. 339)
- Greenberg, Martin J. and Smith, Jay S. (2007) "A Study of Division I Assistant Football and Mens' Basketball Coaches' Contracts," Marquette Sports Law Review: Vol. 18: Iss. 1, Article 3.
- Greenberg, Martin J. (2006) "Termination of College Coaching Contracts: When Does Adequate Cause to Terminate Exist and Who Determines its Existence?," Marquette Sports Law Review: Vol. 17: Iss. 1, Article 8.
- Greenberg, Martin J. (2001) "College Coaching Contracts Revisited: A Practical Perspective," Marquette Sports Law Review: Vol. 12: Iss. 1, Article 7.
- Greenberg, Martin J. (1993) "Drafting of Player Contracts & Clauses," Marquette Sports Law Review: Vol. 4: Iss. 1, Article 5.
- Greenberg, Martin J. (1992) "Representation of College Coaches in Contract Negotiations," Marquette Sports Law Review: Vol. 3: Iss. 1, Article 9.
- Greenberg, Martin J. (1991) "College Coaching Contracts: A Practical Perspective," Marquette Sports Law Review: Vol. 1: Iss. 2, Article 5.