All borrowers must have a valid Marquette University ID or a valid library card. For any questions about checkout policies, fines, renewals and purchasing law library cards, stop by the circulation desk or call (414) 288-7092.
Generally, library materials may be used anywhere in Ray & Kay Eckstein Hall. If overnight use or use away from the general library area is anticipated, items may be checked out at the circulation desk on the first floor, or by using the self-checkout stations located on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors.
Laptops may be borrowed for four days with one in-person or telephone renewal. Laptops must be returned by the end of library service hours on the due date. Laptops cannot be checked out again for 24 hours from the return date.
Law faculty may borrow all materials in the law library general collection for the duration of the academic year. Law students may check out periodicals and single-volume books for a 2-week period and items on reserve for 2 hours. For more detailed information by user type refer to the loan period table.
Marquette law students and faculty have the option to renew materials either by phone, in person, or online. Library materials may be renewed online through MARQCAT by logging in under "My Account." Online renewal for law library materials is allowed twice. Thereafter, a book may be renewed a third time by bringing it to the circulation desk. Items may only be renewed three successive times.
- No book will be renewed if a request has been placed on the item.
- Laptops may be renewed one time in person or by telephone (414.288.7092). Laptops may not be renewed online. Attempting to renew a laptop online instead of in person or over the phone will result in fines accruing from the original laptop due date.
- Overdue laptops may not be renewed.
- Overdue fines apply to renewals.
- Law students with overdue items may not renew books or check out other materials until the overdue materials are returned and the fines are paid. Unpaid bills are turned over to the Bursar's Office.
Circulating materials held in the Raynor Memorial Libraries may be requested by using the "Request" button located at the top of any record in the catalog. After the materials requested are retrieved from the collection and placed on the hold shelf at Raynor, an email is sent to the requester indicating that the material is ready for pick-up at Raynor's circulation desk. If material is currently checked out, Raynor's policy allows the original user to return the material within 7 days. When the material is returned, the patron who requested it will receive an e-mail notice that the material is available for pickup from the hold shelf at the Raynor circulation desk.
This service is now available for law library items on a trial basis for academic cycle 2018- 2019. Law library card holders cannot request Raynor materials. Instead, they should use the interlibrary loan program.
Law students will receive a courtesy notice via e-mail 3 days before an item is due. Once an item is overdue, students will receive another e-mail notice. Students are responsible for paying all fees associated with the late item. Fines stop accruing once the item is returned and checked in.
- Fines of $0.50 per day for MU students apply to circulating materials.
- Fines of $1.50 per day for law library courtesy card holders apply to circulating materials.
- Fines of $0.50 per hour for the first hour and $1.00 for each hour thereafter apply to reserve materials.
- Fines of $1.00 per hour up to $15.00 per day apply to laptops (each detachable part (e.g., laptop, case, power cord) carries a $15.00 per day fine).
- Fines for law library materials may be paid by cash or check at the circulation desk. Fines may also be paid by mail with a check made payable to Marquette Law Library. The law library does not accept payment for fines related to Raynor materials.
Lost Book Fees & Laptop Replacement Costs
Books that are 60 days or more overdue are considered lost. A handling fee of $15.00, a replacement fee (actual costs for any in-print book, $50.00 for any out of print book), and any accumulated fines will be charged for each lost book.
Laptop replacement costs are as follows:
- Laptop - $1800.00
- Laptop case - $40.00
- Power cord - $100.00
- Processing fee - $50.00