~ Research consultations are available for law students. Others are encouraged to contact the reference desk for reference assistance. ~
What is a research consultation?
A research consultation is an in-depth dialogue about a student’s research needs, recommended research strategies, and the best sources for information. Consultations may be particularly helpful when a student is unsure about the best way to start a project or, conversely, when a student has been researching but is feeling stuck. Regardless of the timing or the topic, however, a research consultation may be beneficial whenever a student anticipates needing more than 15 minutes of assistance and wishes to book time with a reference librarian. While law students are encouraged to seek assistance at the reference desk at any time during reference service hours, scheduling a research consultation may yield added benefits.
Scheduling a research consultation:
Research consultations are generally available during the academic semesters from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, with some variability during breaks. We encourage you to request a research consultation as early as possible in your research process. To schedule a research consultation, email the reference desk at least one full business day prior to the desired consultation time, though earlier is even better. Include the following information in the email:
- Your first choice for a meeting date and time as well as any alternative options and important deadlines or time frames to be considered.
- Whether you would like to schedule a 30-minute or a 60-minute consultation (it is fine if your consultation ends up taking less time than scheduled).
- The best way to reach you—email, Teams chat, or phone call—to discuss scheduling options.
- Whether you’d like to meet in person or via Teams.
- The subject area and nature of the needed information as well as any brief background you think would be helpful.
A reference librarian will respond to your request for a research consultation as soon as possible during reference service hours. Please understand that while we will try to accommodate your desired date and time, certain variables may require flexibility or, in rare cases, prevent us from fulfilling a request. In that instance, you are encouraged to seek assistance at the reference desk in the traditional ways—stopping by, calling, or emailing for assistance.